Thursday, September 11, 2014

September 11th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Psalm 103:8-13
The Lord is merciful and gracious,
   slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
He will not always accuse,
   nor will he keep his anger for ever.
He does not deal with us according to our sins,
   nor repay us according to our iniquities.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,
   so great is his steadfast love towards those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west,
   so far he removes our transgressions from us.
As a father has compassion for his children,
   so the Lord has compassion for those who fear him.

Reflection
How grateful I am that God doesn't treat me in accordance to my sins. God doesn't give me what I deserve. How wonderful it is to have a Heavenly Father that knows me enough to work with me and teach me and guide me through my sinfulness in order to keep me as His child in His Kingdom.

If I were to get what I deserved I would be lost in hell forever. But God has chosen to keep this relationship with me and I'm overwhelmed with joy that God has made this choice. Overwhelmed to the point of a joy that creates a spontaneous response of love towards God, God's will for me, God's mission for me and God's relationship with me that causes me to want to please God with all my being.

When I sing this psalm to the Lord I see and understand how I fear the Lord. Not a fear that is a retreat and run type fear but rather a fear of honor and glory and love and service towards God.

Yes, how grateful I am that God doesn't treat me in accordance to my sins.

Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy4ytwKfjBI

Prayer
Lord, as I come to you this day; keep my priorities in order. When I get all wrapped up in the worries and the hustle and the bustle and the demands of this day that many times are wrong, misguided and foolish; help me to see You. Help me to understand what is temporary and what is eternal. Help me to see through my sin and the sin of those around me to see the compassion and love you have offered and given to all of us as we struggle each day. Lord, thank you for forgiveness. Lead me in forgiving others instead of living a life of angst and bitterness towards those you present to me... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: