Saturday, September 06, 2014

September 6th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Matthew 18:15-20
 ‘If another member of the church sins against you, go and point out the fault when the two of you are alone. If the member listens to you, you have regained that one. But if you are not listened to, take one or two others along with you, so that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If the member refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if the offender refuses to listen even to the church, let such a one be to you as a Gentile and a tax-collector. Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.’

Reflection
Last night on my way in to the high school football game in Middletown there was a few people standing with some signs. I didn't even read the signs. At first it seemed like this one man shouting, as the people lined up to buy tickets, was John the Baptist or something. He was shouting how we all needed to repent and turn to God. OK, I thought sure, that's true. But the judgment of the people walking in by this man started to become pointed at certain people and confrontational. I listened and kept my mouth shut just thinking about how this isn't what makes me feel good about being a Christian myself. It seemed way to lopsided on how the people buying tickets would take away as a viewpoint of God. Is God just this guy who yells and screams at all of creation and the people that God created about how awful we are and how we are going to hell if we don't do something and change ourselves? That's sure what seemed to be the portrayal that I was getting. I didn't like it at all. It didn't seem to meet up with my viewpoint of God.

The yelling became hurtful at some point when a young man from the opposing team (I believe), came in dressed up, as so many dress at football games. I think he may have had painted colors on his skin for his team and he was wearing a little fake cheerleader dress of sorts. It was all just part of his costume to cheer on his own high school team. The man yelling at the crowd told him that cross-dressers were going to hell. Really? Where does this man representing Christians get off making a judgment as this? This kid was just coming in to cheer for his team. What if he came in dressed as their mascot the "Tigers," would that be a hell bent judgment as well from the yelling Christian? So I mumble something to my son in line with me and go on. Should I have spoken up? Maybe... maybe not... not sure.

None of all of this action seemed to portray the life, healing, teaching, suffering, death and resurrection of Jesus to my way of thinking. Oh, how I wanted to reach out to the screaming Christian and tell him to take two minutes of his condemnation and take one minute reflecting on his own life about what he was yelling at these people buying tickets and seek his own forgiveness. Oh, how I wanted to speak up... but I didn't... I mumbled and went on. I didn't even comfort or say anything to the kid as a guest to our home field.

So, is this how we portray Christ in public. Maybe the screaming Christian and myself both should reflect and repent. I know it's weighed on my mind since that incident. So, as I reflect on the passage above I think about how we judge. How do we draw the line? What is the gauge? Who decides who is right or wrong about the issue and who goes forth to point out the sin to whom? Who get tossed out of the game? Who gets to stay and why? Repent... repent... repent... these words just keeping coming to mind.

But then I think about the other side of the story. The part the screaming Christian was leaving out. What about shouting to all the people God LOVES YOU!!! God LOVES each one of you!!! God LOVES you sinners, and I'm one of the biggest sinners here as well!!! But, rest assured that I know God LOVES me and God LOVES you!!! Rejoice in God's LOVE for you! Jesus came to die for your sin because he LOVES you and me!!! All the repentance in the world will not save you. You are only saved because God LOVES you, me and all of us. First realize this! Realize the love of God in Christ Jesus... then turn from your sin and repent. Repent right here with me! Repent and realize this awesome gift of forgiveness that God has graciously and freely given to me the greatest of sinners and to you too.

"Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Again, truly I tell you, if two of you agree on earth about anything you ask, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.’"

Why don't we bind the LOVE of God here on earth rather than the judgment and condemnation of one for another by some standard we have created on our own? Why don't we loose on earth the LOVE of God rather than the hate of one for another because of our different sinfulness? Why don't we gather in the name of Jesus and let the LOVE of God in Christ Jesus draw us together in a relationship of love towards one another and towards God?

Oh, how I want Jesus to be there with us together... in my inaction... in my speechlessness... and even in the words of the screaming Christian at the football game.

"For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them."

Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MblrWZDpPQ

Prayer
Lord, teach me to see your grace, your love, your forgiveness, your will and your way as I discern when to speak, when to remain quiet, when to comfort and when to join in prayer with all those you give and present to me each day. Unite all people in the love you have shown to all the world through Jesus' death and resurrection that we all may live in the relationship with one another and with you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: