Tuesday, September 30, 2014

September 30th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Isaiah 5:1-7
Let me sing for my beloved
   my love-song concerning his vineyard:
My beloved had a vineyard
   on a very fertile hill.
He dug it and cleared it of stones,
   and planted it with choice vines;
he built a watch-tower in the midst of it,
   and hewed out a wine vat in it;
he expected it to yield grapes,
   but it yielded wild grapes.

And now, inhabitants of Jerusalem
   and people of Judah,
judge between me
   and my vineyard.
What more was there to do for my vineyard
   that I have not done in it?
When I expected it to yield grapes,
   why did it yield wild grapes?

And now I will tell you
   what I will do to my vineyard.
I will remove its hedge,
   and it shall be devoured;
I will break down its wall,
   and it shall be trampled down.
I will make it a waste;
   it shall not be pruned or hoed,
   and it shall be overgrown with briers and thorns;
I will also command the clouds
   that they rain no rain upon it.

For the vineyard of the Lord of hosts
   is the house of Israel,
and the people of Judah
   are his pleasant planting;
he expected justice,
   but saw bloodshed;
righteousness,
   but heard a cry!

Reflection
It's not just the Israelites. It's not just the other guy. It's me too! God invests a lot of time and love into my life. God works on me to change me into what God would have me be and I fail at it. I don't produce the fruit God is looking for and it seems all the work God has placed in me hasn't done one bit of good.

It's not like I don't see this myself. It's not like I can't see my own short-comings. But I've found out that I can't please God from my own doings. I can't do this on my own. I discover that I need God to work on me and to prune me and to take care of me in order for growth and fruit to happen.

And then when I turn from myself and see the mess I've left behind from my own selfish doings; God comes to me. God comes to me in a Savior. God comes to me in Jesus and makes something out of the mess that I have made of myself. God comes to me and lives and dies for me so that I can live and grow in God.

That's my God! That's the God that saves me from my sinfulness and my selfishness and my desires to tear apart what God has planted. God comes to me to give me new life and new hope and everlasting love and relationship with God.

No, God is not finished with me. I'm finished with myself but God is not finished with me. I turn from myself and turn to God for salvation and life. God in love for me has provided a new hope and new life and a wonderful opportunity for me to love God and love those God gives to me each and every day.

Yes, God has loved me to the death of myself and now I live!

Thanks be to God!

Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhHWeAYJN14

Prayer
Lord, as I see the mess I've made of myself; I look to you. I watch for you. I see you coming to me in Jesus and in the Holy Spirit and as Father, Mother, Creator. Lord as I turn from the mess I've made, come to me to help me be what you would have me be. I want to always be in your love. Teach me to love those you give to me each day. Forgive me as I forgive. And show me your will and your way for me... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: