Friday, September 19, 2014

September 19th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Philippians 1:21-30
For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labour for me; and I do not know which I prefer. I am hard pressed between the two: my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better; but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you. Since I am convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in faith, so that I may share abundantly in your boasting in Christ Jesus when I come to you again.

 Only, live your life in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that, whether I come and see you or am absent and hear about you, I will know that you are standing firm in one spirit, striving side by side with one mind for the faith of the gospel, and are in no way intimidated by your opponents. For them this is evidence of their destruction, but of your salvation. And this is God’s doing. For he has graciously granted you the privilege not only of believing in Christ, but of suffering for him as well— since you are having the same struggle that you saw I had and now hear that I still have.

Reflection
I like the way Paul puts it here... it is a privilege to believe in Christ. I like that way of putting it. It's why I live. It's why I exist. In the privilege of believing in Christ I can live to die. I can live to die to myself, my sin, my desires for all of life to be about me and live for Christ. In the privilege of believing in Christ I can be Jesus' disciple and follow in his teachings, his ways and his will. And in the privilege of believing in Christ, I no longer need to worry about my own needs but the will of God in my life and the needs of those God gives to me in this life that I live.

I think that was what Paul was trying to convey in his letter. Sure, Paul and I too, would like to be with Jesus. But my death will come and so did Paul's death on this earth. But while all of us are here we need to "get over ourselves" and live out the privilege we have been given to believe in Christ. In the believing in Christ we live in the here and now knowing that Jesus has already taken on our sin and freed us to live a new life that follows him in the love Jesus has shown all the world through his saving grace on the cross and his resurrection to everlasting life. We live the privilege of believing that the work that God gives us to do here and now is just what God wants us to do here and now. That work is to love God and love those that God gives to us each day.

Easier said than done for most if not all of us. Some of the people God gives to us each day we just love to hate. But we still live the privilege of believing that God has something in store even for those we can't stand. Something wonderful and life-giving. And maybe... just maybe... at some point... those we can't stand will too... live the privilege of believing in Christ.

Enough of that will change everything. And that's just what this world needs.

All the people living the privilege of believing in Christ.

Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQBDtKC-cQ0

Prayer
Lord, thank you for granting me the privilege to believe in you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: