Monday, September 15, 2014

September 15th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Jonah 3:10-4:11
 When God saw what they did, how they turned from their evil ways, God changed his mind about the calamity that he had said he would bring upon them; and he did not do it.
But this was very displeasing to Jonah, and he became angry. He prayed to the Lord and said, ‘O Lord! Is not this what I said while I was still in my own country? That is why I fled to Tarshish at the beginning; for I knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love, and ready to relent from punishing. And now, O Lord, please take my life from me, for it is better for me to die than to live.’ And the Lord said, ‘Is it right for you to be angry?’ Then Jonah went out of the city and sat down east of the city, and made a booth for himself there. He sat under it in the shade, waiting to see what would become of the city.

 The Lord God appointed a bush, and made it come up over Jonah, to give shade over his head, to save him from his discomfort; so Jonah was very happy about the bush. But when dawn came up the next day, God appointed a worm that attacked the bush, so that it withered. When the sun rose, God prepared a sultry east wind, and the sun beat down on the head of Jonah so that he was faint and asked that he might die. He said, ‘It is better for me to die than to live.’
 But God said to Jonah, ‘Is it right for you to be angry about the bush?’ And he said, ‘Yes, angry enough to die.’ Then the Lord said, ‘You are concerned about the bush, for which you did not labour and which you did not grow; it came into being in a night and perished in a night. And should I not be concerned about Nineveh, that great city, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who do not know their right hand from their left, and also many animals?’

Reflection
They need to get what they deserve. It's the only way they will learn to behave! I know what's best in this case and it's certainly not mercy or love... it's punishment... expel... remove... defeat... death! They've had plenty of chances to turn this thing around!

That's how I feel sometimes when I think I know what is needed to solve certain group or people issues that I have decided need to end. I'm sure I'm not alone in some of these feelings either. In fact, I think Jonah had a few of these thoughts floating around in his head as well.

Jonah was sent on a mission to tell the people the consequences of their sin. I believe that Jonah was already so upset with the people of Nineveh that he didn't even want to go tell them... just take care of this God! You know what to do!

How may times have I been angry with a vendor or a contractor, in my line of work, that I didn't even want to go tell them the consequences of my dissatisfaction with product or service? I just wanted to, and have, just ended the relationship without a warning. I know this seems like a trivial comparison to what is going on in this passage with Jonah above but I can relate to it. I'm sure you have other ways to relate as well.

And then after Jonah finally delivers the message he didn't want to deliver in the first place. God forgives the people! How could God do this! Jonah went out of his will and his way to do what God wanted and God didn't back him up one bit! Jonah knew God would back down after all. Especially when he thought about how God is merciful and slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. God! I'm the one on your side and you pick their side!

That's it! I've had enough of life! Jonah seeks death. But God reaches out to Jonah even in the midst of his despair.

God demonstrates to Jonah how Jonah cared more for a bush than Jonah cared about the people that God created in Nineveh. Jonah wanted to watch a show from the bush. A show of the death and destruction of the people of Nineveh, just as he had warned them with God's Word. But instead... all he got was this lousy bush for shade that died instead.

God is saving people. God is saving creation. God is coming into relationship with all the people, not just the "good" ones... all the people

God reaches out with comfort and teaches Jonah. God is merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love; now to Jonah as well. God's mercy is for all people. The messengers and those in need of repentance. Which in the end turns out to be be not only the people of Nineveh but Jonah and you and I as well.

And then in this struggle between God and Jonah and the people of Nineveh and you and I; we are shown the gift of God's love in salvation. Salvation where God comes to us in relationship with us and is merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. And God saves... saves it all...

"And should I not be concerned about Nineveh, that great city, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who do not know their right hand from their left, and also many animals?’"

Yes... even the animals!

"... for I knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love, and ready to relent from punishing."

Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngIR-EtbvQo

Prayer
Lord, change me into what you would have me be... give me your qualities of patience, slowness to anger, mercy and steadfast love as I deal with those you present to me... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen


No comments: