Thursday, February 11, 2010

February 11th - Reflection

Reading
Acts 3:11-16 (NRSV)
Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob's God glorifies Jesus

While he clung to Peter and John, all the people ran together to them in the portico called Solomon's Portico, utterly astonished. When Peter saw it, he addressed the people, "You Israelites, why do you wonder at this, or why do you stare at us, as though by our own power or piety we had made him walk? The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, the God of our ancestors has glorified his servant Jesus, whom you handed over and rejected in the presence of Pilate, though he had decided to release him. But you rejected the Holy and Righteous One and asked to have a murderer given to you, and you killed the Author of life, whom God raised from the dead. To this we are witnesses. And by faith in his name, his name itself has made this man strong, whom you see and know; and the faith that is through Jesus has given him this perfect health in the presence of all of you.

Reflection
I think we all have rejected Jesus and killed him one time or another. If we think we are innocent, we need to think again. And I wonder about the murderer that we ask to be given to us in the place of Jesus. Might I be that murderer? I'm sure I am.

And in some strangely wonderful way, this is all so good. For in my sin, I am the murderer of the Author of life. God intended for life to be good. In my sin and the sin I was born into, I have ruined life. But, how can this be good?

I am thankful that Jesus did take my place for my sin. I am thankful that the Author of life came to give me new life. Jesus has given me new strength and perfect health. So as I repent of my sin, I look for the hope and the forgiveness only Jesus can grant. I live in the hope of new life.


Now, be astonished, for the murderer and sinful man that I am has been granted a new walk and a new life. By the power of Jesus a new creation is born. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I come to you and plead for your forgiveness. I am sinful and have rejected you and your ways. Be with me this day as I walk in your Kingdom, following you in the hope you grant for a new creation and a new life. ---Amen

No comments: