Saturday, February 20, 2010

February 20th - Reflection

Reading
John 12:27-36 (NRSV)
Jesus announces his passion

"Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say -- 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name." Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again." The crowd standing there heard it and said that it was thunder. Others said, "An angel has spoken to him." Jesus answered, "This voice has come for your sake, not for mine. Now is the judgment of this world; now the ruler of this world will be driven out. And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself." He said this to indicate the kind of death he was to die. The crowd answered him, "We have heard from the law that the Messiah remains forever. How can you say that the Son of Man must be lifted up? Who is this Son of Man?" Jesus said to them, "The light is with you for a little longer. Walk while you have the light, so that the darkness may not overtake you. If you walk in the darkness, you do not know where you are going. While you have the light, believe in the light, so that you may become children of light."

After Jesus had said this, he departed and hid from them.

Reflection
This voice came for my sake and for your sake. A voice from God. A voice to listen to. The Word that came down to this place, came for your sake and for mine. We need to stop and listen to the voice and see the light that shines here in our presence. Look into the eyes of one another and hear and see the Word that is coming to you and to me. Hear the Word and read it and discuss this Word with one another. We need to gather together and discuss this Word, this Voice, this Light. For Jesus is lifted up for you and for me. Recognize him in the Words of the Bible. Recognize God in the Sacraments. Recognize God's presence here and now.

Prayer
Lord, may I walk in the light of your presence this day. Show yourself in the Words of the Bible that I read. Show yourself in the voices of those you give to me this day. Show yourself in ways that I can recognize and see your glory. --- Amen

No comments: