Sunday, February 28, 2010

February 28th - Reflection



Reading

Second Sunday in Lent
Luke 13:31-35 (NRSV)
A hen gathering her brood

At that very hour some Pharisees came and said to him, "Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you." He said to them, "Go and tell that fox for me, 'Listen, I am casting out demons and performing cures today and tomorrow, and on the third day I finish my work. Yet today, tomorrow, and the next day I must be on my way, because it is impossible for a prophet to be killed outside of Jerusalem.' Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! See, your house is left to you. And I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when you say, 'Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.' "



Reflection

How wonderful it is for Jesus to come to us. He comes to us as a humble child. We expected a ruling King, and he comes as a child. We expect thunder and lightning and he walks into Jerusalem to be crucified. It just doesn't make sense. Until...


Until we see what he really came to do. Kingly power and riches and earthly rule were nothing important in this mission. This mission was about the salvation of all people. This mission would defeat sin, death and the devil. This mission would save humankind from their own sinfulness. This mission goes way beyond our understanding and even beyond what we fathom as real and present.


Yet, Jesus did come into what was and is real for each one of us. Jesus came to this earth as we are. Jesus came as the flesh and blood that exists in each one of us and shows us something beyond ourselves. Jesus reveals a new Kingdom. Jesus reveals God's Love.


Prayer

Lord, gather me under your wings together with all your children. Give me faith. Give me the love you show, that I may show it to all you have gathered along with me, that we may be one in you. ---Amen

No comments: