Saturday, February 06, 2010

February 6th - Reflection

Reading
Luke 4:42-44 (NRSV)
Jesus preaches


At daybreak he departed and went into a deserted place. And the crowds were looking for him; and when they reached him, they wanted to prevent him from leaving them. But he said to them, "I must proclaim the good news of the kingdom of God to the other cities also; for I was sent for this purpose." So he continued proclaiming the message in the synagogues of Judea.


Reflection
We want to keep Jesus to ourselves. After all, when I look for him to come to my door each day, I want to stay with him individually. But, I must remember that Jesus comes to my door with Moses and another person. Could that other person be you? Could that other person be the Church? I'm not sure. It was a childhood dream after all and memory either fades, or the memory is intended to be vague in that way. Personally, I think that it was intended to be vague in that way. One person of the group is unknown to me. So, in this very way, I cannot keep Jesus just to myself. Of course, Jesus comes to me individually, in the same manner that you would hear a Billy Graham sermon, but Jesus also comes to me corporately. Jesus comes to me as a Child of God in his church. He comes to groups of people of which I am just one of many.

So, in my mind, Jesus comes both ways. And that unknown person that is with Jesus at the front door could be an individual or a group. Who am I to guess at that? In this passage Jesus goes off, away from the people. Likewise, I need to go off. Go off in prayer and study and listening. Go off and seek God. Not only does Jesus come to my door, but I go to his door. I seek the Word. I seek the Word through the written Word, the spoken Word and the Word acted out in the sacraments. The Word is present throughout and within ourselves and the creation God gave to us. So we seek the Word as the Word comes to us.

So celebrate the Word, at your doorstep and out in the world. Proclaim the Word to all nations. Jesus comes to you just as you seek him. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I give you thanks that you not only come to me personally but you come to all people as one. As I seek you daily, I glory in your coming. Thanks! ---Amen

No comments: