Thursday, February 04, 2010

February 4th - Reflection

Reading
Acts 9:19b-25 (NRSV)
Saul's call is questioned


For several days he was with the disciples in Damascus, and immediately he began to proclaim Jesus in the synagogues, saying, "He is the Son of God." All who heard him were amazed and said, "Is not this the man who made havoc in Jerusalem among those who invoked this name? And has he not come here for the purpose of bringing them bound before the chief priests?" Saul became increasingly more powerful and confounded the Jews who lived in Damascus by proving that Jesus was the Messiah.

After some time had passed, the Jews plotted to kill him, but their plot became known to Saul. They were watching the gates day and night so that they might kill him; but his disciples took him by night and let him down through an opening in the wall, lowering him in a basket.

Reflection
Saul underwent some dramatic changes in a short period of time. Saul went from killing Christians to proclaiming Jesus as the Messiah, the Son of God. He proved that Jesus was the Messiah. What a sudden change! No other than a visit from Jesus could bring on such a huge change. And Jesus had already suffered, died, risen and ascended, when Saul met Jesus.

A change so big that the people plotted to kill Saul. But Saul's disciples protected him.

What a change Jesus brings into the life of the believer. Sudden change or gradual change, Jesus changes us. He changes you and me and, as a believer, I look forward to that change. We are all created in the image of God. But that doesn't mean that we all will receive the same rate of change. I believe that God has a plan for each of our lives. Those willing to believe the plan and for some. even those whom God wills to choose, will be changed at just the right moment and just the right time to fit into God's plan.

For me, I must be willing to submit and rejoice in the plan that God has for my life. I must be patient, I must be on fire for the change to take place, and I must find my joy in being part of the plan. Change can either be difficult, or it can be a time of joy. Rejoice that you have been so deeply loved that God created you unique and created you to change into the creation he wishes for you to be. Rejoice that God has a plan for your life. Rejoice that you will be placed into that plan. Rejoice in the change. Rejoice in the plan. Rejoice in the love of God. Rejoice when Jesus comes to you, and let the change begin! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Jesus, you come to my door each day. You come and I change. Lead me, teach me and use me this day in your glorious eternal plan. ---Amen

No comments: