Monday, October 11, 2010

October 11th - Reflection


2 Kings 5:15-19a (NRSV)
Naaman seeks to repay Elisha

Then he returned to the man of God, he and all his company; he came and stood before him and said, "Now I know that there is no God in all the earth except in Israel; please accept a present from your servant." But he said, "As the Lord lives, whom I serve, I will accept nothing!" He urged him to accept, but he refused. Then Naaman said, "If not, please let two mule-loads of earth be given to your servant; for your servant will no longer offer burnt offering or sacrifice to any god except the Lord. But may the Lord pardon your servant on one count: when my master goes into the house of Rimmon to worship there, leaning on my arm, and I bow down in the house of Rimmon, when I do bow down in the house of Rimmon, may the Lord pardon your servant on this one count." He said to him, "Go in peace."

Reflection
I can't return the favor. I can't in any way return the favor of what God has done for me through Jesus Christ. What more could God do for me? Not only have I been healed from disease, sin and death...I have been give new life. I don't have what it takes to return the favor. And besides that...all I do have...has been given to me by God. So, I can't return the favor.

I can be eternally thankful though. I can praise God and give my life to God. I can listen to the call and respond willingly to what God has called me to do. I can let that same love shine through in this life of mine. I can treat my neighbor with that love. I can serve in the love of Christ. I can live in the changes that God makes in me and celebrate each new moment. I can be that child of God.

I can't return the favor...I can be eternally thankful

Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I give thanks for life...for life in you...for the life you give to me...for the lives of those you give to me...I give thanks for Life. --- Amen

No comments: