Sunday, October 03, 2010

October 3rd - Reflection


Time after Pentecost - Lectionary 27
Luke 17:5-10 (NRSV)
Faith the size of a mustard seed

The apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith!" The Lord replied, "If you had faith the size of a mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it would obey you.

"Who among you would say to your slave who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field, 'Come here at once and take your place at the table'? Would you not rather say to him, 'Prepare supper for me, put on your apron and serve me while I eat and drink; later you may eat and drink'? Do you thank the slave for doing what was commanded? So you also, when you have done all that you were ordered to do, say, 'We are worthless slaves; we have done only what we ought to have done!' "

Reflection
It seems like the disciples are asking for such a good thing... Increase our faith! But Jesus, reply seems terse. How do you take that reply? I don't think I have enough faith to whisk a tree into the sea, and I haven't seen anyone able to do this either. So what to make of this passage?

There are times in my life and I'm sure there were times in the lives of the disciples when you just aren't sure if you can do this "Jesus" thing. The job looks too intimidating. Give your life? For Abraham, the call to get up and move... Or, Job having to suffer, yet cling to his hope and trust in God... Jeremiah called to speak out at a young age... Paul's conversion. The list goes on and on. Sometimes when I feel the call from God to take a stand, give a talk, lead a group or take any number of actions that are outside of my comfort zone; I feel inadequate.

But in this passage, Jesus encourages us that we can do it. We can make a huge change. We can move trees, mountains or whatever, when we respond to the call. God will provide the faith that we need for the task. God will provide the gifts needed. God will provide the "Daily Bread" for whatever God calls for us to do.

So step out boldly, with thanks, to serve. Faith will increase and the Spirit will move throughout you, me and many others that God's will is certainly done.

It's not a competition for who has the most faith. It's more like God moving his people with the faith that they need, when they need it, so that God's will be done. It's not about me...it's all about God. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, give me the faith I need to do your will...today...tomorrow...and forever. --- Amen

No comments: