Sunday, October 24, 2010

October 24th - Reflection


Time after Pentecost - Lectionary 30
Luke 18:9-14 (NRSV)
A Pharisee and tax collector pray

He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.' But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted."

Reflection
Sounds like the Pharisee was not only standing by himself, but he was praying to himself also.

In prayer we come to God, creatures created by God. We are children of God. We are not God. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves of this.

Sometimes, it's easy to pray and expect God to grant this or that just because we asked and feel it is our right to get what we want when we want it. But, what kind of relationship is this?

We are in relationship with God and come to God to talk it out. We come to God for guidance and thanks and praise. We come to God to ask for what we need and humbly wait on God's answer. We even cry out to God in argument and pain.

But once we pray to God as a display for others, we are no longer praying to God, we are praying to ourselves. Look at me! I'm favored over you. Cut it out! Get over yourself!

Seek God and the relationship with God. God is ready to receive the unrighteous, but when the proud call out, God closes his ears because these think they are self-sufficient.

God, be merciful to me, a sinner!

Prayer
Lord, I come to you this day, seeking forgiveness, renewal, direction, and relationship with you. I listen for that knock on the door to go out into your Kingdom and do your will, today...tomorrow...and forever. Let's talk along the way! --- Amen

No comments: