Wednesday, October 20, 2010

October 20th - Reflection


Psalm 57 (NRSV)
Vindication from God

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
for in you my soul takes refuge;
in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,
until the destroying storms pass by.
I cry to God Most High,
to God who fulfills his purpose for me.
He will send from heaven and save me,
he will put to shame those who trample on me.
Selah
God will send forth his steadfast love and his faithfulness.

I lie down among lions
that greedily devour human prey;
their teeth are spears and arrows,
their tongues sharp swords.
Be exalted, O God, above the heavens.
Let your glory be over all the earth.

They set a net for my steps;
my soul was bowed down.
They dug a pit in my path,
but they have fallen into it themselves.
Selah
My heart is steadfast, O God,
my heart is steadfast.
I will sing and make melody.
Awake, my soul!
Awake, O harp and lyre!
I will awake the dawn.
I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples;
I will sing praises to you among the nations.
For your steadfast love is as high as the heavens;
your faithfulness extends to the clouds.

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens.
Let your glory be over all the earth.

Reflection
Just as when I would run to my mother's apron when frightened, and just as when I would cling close to my dad's leg when scared; so we run to God for protection when life throws twists and turns our way that we can't understand.

We depend on God as a child depends on parents to take care, protect, feed, and clean us up when needed. We can't take care of ourselves so we turn to God. And God as our loving parent responds. God sends forth his steadfast love and faithfulness. When we sin, God is disappointed, but we are still loved. When we are good children, Go rejoices in our strength and learning. When we are ill, God hurts right along with us, and seeks to give us the best care.

But we are living this life in the midst of sin, pain, and death and temptation. God is aware of all of this. And God chooses to be by our side. We don't get a free pass out of jail. But we do get a loving warden that chose to send his Son with steadfast love as high as the heavens to live, suffer, die and pay the ultimate price in our stead for each one of us.

God loves us so much that, in the end, if we have faith in Jesus, we have a way to eternal life.

Let the waters flow in baptism, let the faith grow in you that you may come to the realization of what God has done for you. That you may realize the precious gift you have been given. That you may gather in the strength of the Holy Spirit with Children of God to continue on in the calling, the gifting, the going out to proclaim to all the world what God has done for you, for me, and for those you gather in the Holy Spirit with.

For our God is exalted above the heavens and his glory has filled the earth! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, your love is awesome and deep and mysterious. I give you thanks that you chose to love me. I give you thanks that you chose to love all. I give you thanks for the creation and the life of Jesus. I give you thanks for giving me new life and giving all a chance at this same new life. Lead me, teach me, fill me, and send me to proclaim your love to all you give to me this day. --- Amen

No comments: