Tuesday, October 05, 2010

October 5th - Reflection


Habakkuk 2:5-11 (NRSV)
Those who heap up what is not theirs

Moreover, wealth is treacherous;
the arrogant do not endure.
They open their throats wide as Sheol;
like Death they never have enough.
They gather all nations for themselves,
and collect all peoples as their own.

Shall not everyone taunt such people and, with mocking riddles, say about them,
"Alas for you who heap up what is not your own!"
How long will you load yourselves with goods taken in pledge?
Will not your own creditors suddenly rise,
and those who make you tremble wake up?
Then you will be booty for them.
Because you have plundered many nations,
all that survive of the peoples shall plunder you -
because of human bloodshed, and violence to the earth,
to cities and all who live in them.

"Alas for you who get evil gain for your houses,
setting your nest on high
to be safe from the reach of harm!"
You have devised shame for your house
by cutting off many peoples;
you have forfeited your life.
The very stones will cry out from the wall,
and the plaster will respond from the woodwork.

Reflection
This is a warning to the selfish people that hoard riches for themselves. If I examine my life, I would say that I don't hoard riches. However if I examine my life comparing my riches to the average riches of others in this world, I fail.

These passages give you pause to think about your blessings and how one can use what God has given to us for those in need. God has given me opportunities that I didn't earn to make money and live comfortably. There are other people in this world who have been given a different circumstance. People given a circumstance that creates in them the very same feeling that I am having.

God blesses us each day with daily bread. Daily Bread of all we need to survive. I think God intends for us to share that Bread with those we meet each day. Daily Bread includes not only food, but family, income, a job, health and all we need to live this life.

When we view our unique situations as Daily Bread blessings, we can freely give from where we are to those God sets before us. God will create opportunities to spread the blessings. We are to respond. Respond knowing that the Daily Bread that God freely gives is Christ himself. Jesus Christ, today, tomorrow and forever...never runs out! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, give us this day our Daily Bread. Let me count the blessings and give that Bread away to those you give to me this day. --- Amen

No comments: