Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May 17th - Reflection


Ezekiel 34:17-23 (NRSV)
God the true shepherd

As for you, my flock, thus says the Lord God: I shall judge between sheep and sheep, between rams and goats: Is it not enough for you to feed on the good pasture, but you must tread down with your feet the rest of your pasture? When you drink of clear water, must you foul the rest with your feet? And must my sheep eat what you have trodden with your feet, and drink what you have fouled with your feet?


Therefore, thus says the Lord God to them: I myself will judge between the fat sheep and the lean sheep. Because you pushed with flank and shoulder, and butted at all the weak animals with your horns until you scattered them far and wide, I will save my flock, and they shall no longer be ravaged; and I will judge between sheep and sheep.

I will set up over them one shepherd, my servant David, and he shall feed them: he shall feed them and be their shepherd.

Reflection
Restoration is mixed in together with judgment. We are called to care one for another also. We are called not to live in greed of the goodness that God graciously gives us as sheep. We are called to live in unity and support of each other acting out the love that has been shown to us through the Shepherd.

One shepherd will be set up to care and love the sheep. That true shepherd is God. God who calls us in love, to love God and each other.  Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, as I turn to you today, I seek healing of body, strength of mind, and growth of your Spirit in me. I ask for your daily bread that I may partake no more than what I need and leave what is needed for all others. Feed all your sheep and may we grow in love one for another. --- Amen

No comments: