Monday, May 30, 2011

May 30th - Reflection


Genesis 9:8-17 (NRSV)
Sign of the covenant
Then God said to Noah and to his sons with him, "As for me, I am establishing my covenant with you and your descendants after you, and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the domestic animals, and every animal of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark. I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of a flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth." God said, "This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I have set my bow in the clouds, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth. When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds, I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh. When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth." God said to Noah, "This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth."

Reflection
There are several interesting points in this passage. This passage shows a corporate God, not so much a personal relationship God. God is establishing a covenant of life on earth. We usually think of God's promises as related to eternal life, but this promise relates to all flesh and all earth. This is a promise between God and earth, which includes us.

And then the sign of the bow. The bow usually translates as a weapon. As we see the rainbow and the storm is normally in retreat from us with the sun coming out; we are reminded that God put his weapon aside from destroying all the earth and will protect the entire earth.

God shows us his grace in wonderful fashion as beams of light bend and appear in multitude colors of love and redemption.

And this is when and where we are to act. In the devastation of recent tornadoes and floods and many natural disasters, God shines his beams of light through not only rainbows with the weapon set aside, but through those he gifts and calls to love one another through Jesus gift of grace. You see, we are called to let Jesus' Light shine brightly through us as we individually bend that light into a wonderful color of grace particular to each one of us. In this way those in need of help after devastation will not only see the rainbow set aside in the sky, but they will also see the Light and beauty of the grace of Jesus love shining brightly and colored to each one of us.

And that's a wonderful rainbow of love. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, be with those who are devastated by natural disaster. Bless those who respond in love. Care for your people and this earth. --- Amen

No comments: