Saturday, May 21, 2011

May 21st - Reflection


John 8:48-59 (NRSV)
Jesus the greater prophet

The Jews answered him, "Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?" Jesus answered, "I do not have a demon; but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is one who seeks it and he is the judge. Very truly, I tell you, whoever keeps my word will never see death." The Jews said to him, "Now we know that you have a demon. Abraham died, and so did the prophets; yet you say, 'Whoever keeps my word will never taste death.' Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets also died. Who do you claim to be?" Jesus answered, "If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, he of whom you say, 'He is our God,' though you do not know him. But I know him; if I would say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you. But I do know him and I keep his word. Your ancestor Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day; he saw it and was glad." Then the Jews said to him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?" Jesus said to them, "Very truly, I tell you, before Abraham was, I am." So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

Reflection
"...before Abraham was, I am." Such few yet such powerful and meaningful words from Jesus. This passage is a dispute about Jesus and his place with the prophets of old. There was a Jewish tradition that Abraham was permitted to see the entire history of his descendants. Remember when God told Abraham to look at the stars of the night sky and declared that Abraham's descendants would be like these stars? From here a tradition was brought forth that Abraham actually saw all of his descendants.

So Jesus claim that Abraham rejoiced that he would see the day of Jesus was very offensive to the Jewish leaders. Abraham was held with such high esteem that for Jesus to claim that Abraham would rejoice in Jesus' day brought a reaction of disgust from the leaders.

So if Abraham did see all of his descendants; think of the joy he had when he saw Jesus. Abraham was a sinful man like you and I after all. Sure, he was chosen by God, but so are we. Sure, he was pivotal in history, but so are we. I don't claim to be on the historical level of Abraham, but in the eyes of God, we all are unique lives he created. We all are special and wonderful creations, created for a purpose. We all are children of God. And when we look to the stars as Abraham did so many years ago, and believe and have faith and trust in the promise of God...we claim God and God claims us.

So if Abraham saw Jesus in those stars, just think of the joy it brought to him. If we see Jesus in stars or whatever else, we have joy too. Jesus comes to us and reveals himself to us. A Jesus reveals to us that unique name of God...I AM. "...before Abraham was, I am." What a wonderful gift of just a few words to us.

God revealed this name to Moses at Moses call. ""God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." He sail further, "Thus you shall say to the Israelites, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"" (Exodus 3:14). So in just a few words Jesus reveals his divine nature to us. Jesus comes to us and speaks to us and tells us that he is not only flesh but is also our God. In Jesus "I am" statement he refers to a perfect existence. Jesus always existed for us throughout all time. Such few yet powerful and meaningful words from Jesus! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, I don't know if I get this message right or not, it's really beyond my comprehension,  but I do know that you are my God. You are my I AM. You are my Savior who has come to me and saved me from sin, death, the devil and my sinful self. For this I am eternally thankful...today...tomorrow...and forever. --- Amen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jesus is Lord!!!!!!