Monday, December 10, 2012

December 10th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Zephaniah 3:14-20
A Song of Joy

Sing aloud, O daughter Zion;
   shout, O Israel!
Rejoice and exult with all your heart,
   O daughter Jerusalem!
The Lord has taken away the judgements against you,
   he has turned away your enemies.
The king of Israel, the Lord, is in your midst;
   you shall fear disaster no more.
On that day it shall be said to Jerusalem:
Do not fear, O Zion;
   do not let your hands grow weak.
The Lord, your God, is in your midst,
   a warrior who gives victory;
he will rejoice over you with gladness,
   he will renew you in his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing
   as on a day of festival.
I will remove disaster from you,
   so that you will not bear reproach for it.
I will deal with all your oppressors
   at that time.
And I will save the lame
   and gather the outcast,
and I will change their shame into praise
   and renown in all the earth.
At that time I will bring you home,
   at the time when I gather you;
for I will make you renowned and praised
   among all the peoples of the earth,
when I restore your fortunes
   before your eyes, says the Lord.

Reflection
I just heard a couple of guys talking on the ham radio about taking steroids for an illness they were suffering from. One operator said that he studied for an exam and took it the next day and passed. I've been on steroids myself. I don't know if this would happen to me or not, but steroids do wind you up and make it difficult to sleep.

This passage reminds me of how it would be with Jesus present. We wouldn't need any medication to be wound up. Look at some of the words of this passage... rejoice, exalt, victory, gladness, renew, praise, restore. You would be so happy that you couldn't stand yourself!

Then reflect on the healing being done here. Wars would cease and illness healed and fortunes restored. It's all about salvation. Salvation before our eyes!

Prayer
As we wait for your coming, we look in hope to how you would have our lives and the lives of those around us really be. As we wait for your coming, may we boldly proclaim to all the world the salvation you have graciously offered. As we wait for your coming... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: