Wednesday, December 19, 2012

December 19th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Hebrews 10:5-10

Consequently, when Christ came into the world, he said,
‘Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired,
   but a body you have prepared for me;
in burnt-offerings and sin-offerings
   you have taken no pleasure.
Then I said, “See, God, I have come to do your will, O God”
   (in the scroll of the book it is written of me).’
When he said above, ‘You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt-offerings and sin-offerings’ (these are offered according to the law), then he added, ‘See, I have come to do your will.’ He abolishes the first in order to establish the second. And it is by God’s will that we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Reflection
God was looking for a sacrifice all along. When we read the Old Testament we read of sacrifices of animals for the sin of the people and the nation. We read of detailed descriptions that seem so odd by today's standards and culture. We read of sprinkling blood and the pouring of the blood of the sacrifice. We read of the smell pleasing to the LORD.

But people rebel and don't get it. The people of the Old Testament rebel and we rebel today and don't get it. We find that we just can't figure it out and then turn to our own reasoning and strength and still don't get it. The prophets came along to tell of a future sacrifice to help us. Jesus makes it plain to us. God becomes the sacrifice that shows us what God is looking for. Jesus comes and gives his life for our sins. Jesus comes and heals, teaches, suffers and hangs on a cross, giving his blood for each of us and for all of us as the sacrifice that God really wants.

Jesus took the place of the sacrifices of the Old Testament. Through Jesus' final offering; this took the place of all the Old Testament offerings once and for all. God was showing us through Jesus that he doesn't want animals for the deliverance from sin, death and the devil. God wants us. Jesus showed us that God wants our lives and our devotion to him to do God's will and live in and under him.

God sent Jesus into this world to love us to death. God was looking for a sacrifice all along. What pleases God is our full trust and dependence on Jesus as Savior that we now in joy can offer ourselves fully to God. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, forgive my sins, I pray. Lead me and guide me and save me from myself. Use me to do your will as I give my life to you. Come, Lord Jesus, come... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: