Sunday, December 09, 2012

December 9th Reflection by Bill Lynch



2nd Sunday of Advent 
Malachi 3:1-4 (NRSV)

See, I am sending my messenger to prepare the way before me, and the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple. The messenger of the covenant in whom you delight -- indeed, he is coming, says the Lord of hosts. But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears?

For he is like a refiner's fire and like fullers' soap; he will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the descendants of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, until they present offerings to the Lord in righteousness. Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the Lord as in the days of old and as in former years.

Reflection
It was a cloudy day that day. Not partly cloudy, it was cloudy. It was raining a light mist that seemed to cover the entire earth. Everywhere I drove that day this mist was falling. It seemed as if the earth were being cleansed on this day. I drove from Cincinnati to Columbus that day and the mist was constant. It was never a downpour, but always a mist and it didn't stop. All day long. About four in the afternoon was when I noticed what was going on. As the mist fell my car began to shine as bright as a new paint job. The oil and dirt of the road cleared up. Even though it was a dull cloudy day, everything on the earth began to sparkle like new. I even began to feel a joy in my heart. It wasn't like a dull rainy day, I had the feeling it was a bright, sun filled day of joy and freedom and laughter.

I began to laugh and couldn't stop. My heart was light and everything was new again. What started out as dull and boring became shining bright and joyful. Jesus had come to this earth once again and into my life and heart forever! Jesus had returned to the temple of my heart and life. All that was old and ugly was now new and alive! I felt purified! I didn't do a thing for this feeling at all. It came upon me as I was waiting for Jesus second coming. There are no more comings now. Jesus is here to stay!

Prayer
Lord, I read your Word and know that there will be a mysterious event when you come again. Some look to this event in horror, but I look to this event in anticipation and hope. Come, Lord Jesus, come... today... tomorrow and forever. --- Amen

No comments: