Monday, December 03, 2012

December 3rd Reflection by Bill Lynch



Malachi 3:1-4
The Coming Messenger

See, I am sending my messenger to prepare the way before me, and the Lord whom you seek will suddenly come to his temple. The messenger of the covenant in whom you delight—indeed, he is coming, says the Lord of hosts. But who can endure the day of his coming, and who can stand when he appears?

For he is like a refiner’s fire and like fullers’ soap; he will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he will purify the descendants of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, until they present offerings to the Lord in righteousness. Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the Lord as in the days of old and as in former years.

Reflection
"I'm ready to go when you are." A phrase many times shouted to me. It always seems that I'm doing something. This time I was watching the Bengals play. But we needed to go to the grocery and shop for food. The pantry was bare. So, I wasn't prepared at that moment. I wasn't prepared in mind or physically. I didn't want to leave. I was comfortable and watching the football game and I didn't have my shoes on. I wasn't prepared to leave but I had to leave anyway. So I prepared myself.

This passage speaks of a messenger sent to prepare the way of one who will suddenly come to the temple and will make things clean and pure, so that a proper offering can be made that pleases God. How can you not help but think of John the Baptist and Jesus after reading this passage? Are you prepared? Get ready!
He is coming. Things will be purified.

Purification isn't easy either. The Fuller would bleach cloth to make it clean. The Refiner sits over the silver until the impurities are burnt away and removes those impurities until the surface reflects the Refiner's face. Can't you see Jesus washing our sins away? Can't you see Jesus burning out our impurities until he can see his face in us?

"I'm ready to go when you are."

Prayer
Lord, as I hear the words to prepare myself, I also look forward to the pain of the preparation you will make of me. The sting of bleach and the heat of the fire to make me like you. Come, Lord Jesus, come... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: