Sunday, December 30, 2012

December 30th Reflection by Bill Lynch



1st Sunday of Christmas 
1 Samuel 2:18-20, 26 (NRSV)

Samuel was ministering before the Lord, a boy wearing a linen ephod. His mother used to make for him a little robe and take it to him each year, when she went up with her husband to offer the yearly sacrifice. Then Eli would bless Elkanah and his wife, and say, "May the Lord repay you with children by this woman for the gift that she made to the Lord"; and then they would return to their home.

Now the boy Samuel continued to grow both in stature and in favor with the Lord and with the people.

Reflection
The lions had gathered together in a pack. As I watched, I knew the lions were aware of the speed of the zebra. The zebra is a shrewd animal with greater speed than the lion. The only way that the lion could capture the zebra was to do it in a pack of lions and seek the youngest of the zebra.

But this time was different. The pack of lions did go after the zebra, but it seemed to me as if the youngest of zebras there was not the slowest. This is what I saw during the hunt of the lion pack. As the lion pack spread a little and moved the zebras became aware of the situation. You could tell among the zebras that there was a mother child relationship between a couple of them. As the lion went for the attack, they moved towards the youngest of the zebras. Just as this happened and as the zebras began to run with great speed, the mother zebra seemed to come up lame. The younger zebra was able to escape with all of the other zebras and the lion pack switched directions towards the mother zebra. As the lions approached the mother zebra, suddenly she was able to run. Run full speed away. But, her delay was just a bit too much. The lion pack captured the mother zebra and she became a meal for the lion pack.

It was a sad sight to see. Then I noticed in the distance the Mother zebra's youngster looking on at what had happened. This zebra was looking and learning it appeared to me. Looking and picking up on the lesson of how it's mother had given her life. Just like the young zebra was looking on, I was as well.

This mother zebra taught me that giving life gave life. Gave life that grows in wisdom and understanding. I saw a love that went beyond this earthly life to a life that continues to grow and nurture. I couldn't help but to think of the baby Jesus in the manger. I couldn't help but to think of the crown of thorns, the bloody face and the cruel punishment that Jesus took for the likes of me. I couldn't help but to think of my sinful self and what Jesus had come to do to pay for my sin. I couldn't help but to think of standing at a distance and seeing the baby and my Savior on a cross, both in that manger. I couldn't help but to think of my Savior rising from the tomb and living in glory. I couldn't help but to think of how Jesus saved me from sin, death and the devil that I might live to his glory and proclaim to all people what God has done for them. I couldn't help but to think of the joy it brought to me.

I couldn't help but to think of myself as a young zebra anxious to find out all I could find out about Jesus and the life he wants me to live. I couldn't help myself... but Jesus did!

Prayer
God you have come. You come among us and walk with us. You are in the hunt with us and you gave your life for us. You have come a baby and lived as a child with deep curiosity and faith. You gave your life to all people that they may live. Even as a youth, you gave your life to the world. As your children grow through the grace you have granted, accept our lives that we may praise you with our lives and bring glory to your name... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: