Wednesday, September 11, 2013

September 11th Reflection - Wind - by Bill Lynch


Jeremiah 4:11–12, 22–28
At that time it will be said to this people and to Jerusalem: A hot wind comes from me out of the bare heights in the desert toward my poor people, not to winnow or cleanse— a wind too strong for that. Now it is I who speak in judgment against them. “For my people are foolish, they do not know me; they are stupid children, they have no understanding. They are skilled in doing evil, but do not know how to do good.” I looked on the earth, and lo, it was waste and void; and to the heavens, and they had no light. I looked on the mountains, and lo, they were quaking, and all the hills moved to and fro. I looked, and lo, there was no one at all, and all the birds of the air had fled. I looked, and lo, the fruitful land was a desert, and all its cities were laid in ruins before the Lord, before his fierce anger. For thus says the Lord: The whole land shall be a desolation; yet I will not make a full end. Because of this the earth shall mourn, and the heavens above grow black; for I have spoken, I have purposed; I have not relented nor will I turn back.

Reflection
Now that's depressing, threatening and sad all at once. Seems a message from God that he is about to give up on everything. Or, maybe it's a message of warning. I become foolish and stupid towards my God at times. When I turn to sin instead of turning to God; my actions are foolish and stupid. When I think I can take care of it all by myself because of myself, my actions are sinful and selfish. We all fall into the trap of sin from time to time. We all become that desolate land and there is mourning for our soul. But God gives a ray of hope at the end. God has decided not to make a full end because of me. God has decided and acted in a different way. God comes down in flesh and spirit to me and all the sinful people and gives us a new chance, a new beginning and a new way to live.

The hot wind is the sirocco from the desert. It's a scorching wind that is cyclonic and is used for winnowing. Winnowing is when threshed grain is separated from the chaff. This all was thrown into the hot air and the heavier grain fell to the ground while the rest blew away. You were left with useful grain. This metaphor is sometimes used for judgment. The wind mentioned at the beginning of this passage, however, is a wind that blows it all away It's not a useful wind but a destructive wind.

During Jeremiah's time this judgment on Jerusalem was of doom and gloom. The people and the very land had all turned from God and Jeremiah was sent with a message of warning and God's judgment. God wants to be gracious, but in the circumstances of this direct and purposeful sinfulness and the obnoxious turning away from God, there is little room for grace. So, God warns the people through Jeremiah's words.

And our loving God gives the people a second chance. If only they repent and turn back to God; God is waiting with saving grace.

This same idea applies to me daily. When I rise, I come to God and place my life in God's hands. I seek God's will and way for the day. I listen to what God has directed for the day and seek him throughout the day. But, I fail at times. I leave something undone or don't even address something I should have addressed. I fall into sin and must repent and turn to God. So, yes, I relive my baptism day by day. God drowns me in his saving, graceful waters and I come up new and refreshed, ready to live in God's grace. No, I'm not talking about a cheap grace either. This grace was given to me through the blood and suffering death of God in flesh through Jesus Christ on the cross. This grace was given to me through the gifts of the Holy Spirit, my constant companion that calls me and directs me. This is the grace of God, not something to be taken advantage of, but something to be cherished and loved for what God has done for me and he has done the same for you and all people too. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, lead me and guide me this day. Forgive my sin of yesterday and keep me from being separated from you forever by that hot, dry, destructive wind... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: