Saturday, September 14, 2013

September 14th Reflection - Thanks! - by Bill Lynch


1 Timothy 1:12–17
Gratitude for Mercy

 I am grateful to Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because he judged me faithful and appointed me to his service, even though I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and a man of violence. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the foremost. But for that very reason I received mercy, so that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display the utmost patience, making me an example to those who would come to believe in him for eternal life. To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Reflection
You gotta love this passage! At least I really do! When something is stated plain and to the point that directly relates to me, or to you as well. Jesus came to save me, a sinner, one of the greatest of sinners. God came here to this place out of and beyond a universe that is beyond size and imagination to save me! How great is that? God in Jesus came for me with patience and mercy to save me from myself, sin, death and the devil. God came through time even though God is beyond all time, in Jesus for me! Jesus gave his life for mine and became the awfulness of my sin and hung it all on that cross for me! And God did this not just for me... "But to all who receive him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God, who were born, not of the blood or will of the flesh, or the will on man, but of God." (John 1:12-13)

In this passage Paul encourages Timothy in his calling to be humble yet devoted to what God called him to do in his new life in Christ. God calls me and God calls you, as his children to proclaim the Gospel to those he gives to us and live our lives devoted to the calling and the gifts God gives us to proclaim that Gospel. For as Children of God, we know of our salvation in Jesus Christ. We are each called. And we live out our faith and hope and trust in God on our sleeves, in word and action and our way of being alive. We live a new life in Christ and are powered by the Spirit of God. We are changed people living in a sinful world. We are both sinners and saints in this place with our judgment taken care of through Jesus. God the Father sees us as his children. God the Father looks at us and sees Jesus. Wow! What freedom to act out God's love, free of the chains of enmity and unbelief. We know that Jesus took care of our sins.

Sure, we confess our sins. We are being made new. We are growing in Christ, yet we are still living in the freedom of God's love day after day. We don't wish to sin and even when we do sin, God uses our sin to change us and teach us and lead us towards the Light of Jesus. We live on in God's overflowing grace, trusting in the Gospel of Jesus in God coming to save all people from sin, death, the devil and our sinful selves.

So, if God comes for me or for Paul or for so many other sinners to save us; feel free to join in our belief in Jesus and become Children of God. It's an easy step that God gives to all people. It's a wonderful life of change. It's a fantastic walk with Jesus leading on the way to eternal life with himself and all believers.

"To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen."

Prayer
Thanks for a new life! Thanks for the fantastic journey! Thanks for Jesus! Thanks for salvation! Thanks be to God... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: