Friday, September 13, 2013

September 13th Reflection - New Life - by Bill Lynch


Psalm 14
Fools say in their hearts, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds; there is no one who does good.

The Lord looks down from heaven on humankind to see if there are any who are wise, who seek after God.
They have all gone astray, they are all alike perverse; there is no one who does good, no, not one.

Have they no knowledge, all the evildoers who eat up my people as they eat bread, and do not call upon the Lord?

There they shall be in great terror, for God is with the company of the righteous.
You would confound the plans of the poor, but the Lord is their refuge.
O that deliverance for Israel would come from Zion! When the Lord restores the fortunes of his people, Jacob will rejoice; Israel will be glad.

Reflection
I can't imagine your disappointment O Lord.
When you look down from heaven and see my sin.
When you see the sinful nature of man before your eyes.
The tears you must cry thinking of the life you have granted.

You see foolish actions and heartless hatred in all of us.
You see each one of us as we turn from you.
You see us reach out to man-made things for comfort.
You see us turn and run from you.

Yet, you came to us in flesh and blood.
You sent your son, Jesus to rescue this fallen people.
You grant forgiveness and grace to all who turn.
To all who turn and repent and own up to their sin.

And then you hang from a cross.
You become the sin that we are.
You die on that cross abandoned from God.
You put to death sin, hatred and evil.

Only to raise a new man to new life.
Life formed by your hands with new breath.
Breath of the Holy Spirit alive and renewed.
New life, changed life, for your people.

To once again look down on your faithful.
You look and see Jesus acting in love and faith.
You look and see Your Spirit alive and well.
In all those who have faith in you and you alone.

Praise to You, Spirit, Jesus, Creator, Father!
Praise to you our God of life!
Praise to new life, changed life, awesome life in you!
Praise and glory to you alone!

Prayer
Lord, I know you care about how I act. You care about my sinful nature. You care about me and love me as I love you. Forgive me dear Lord. We all go astray and need your gracious love. We all are evil. Forgive all man-kind. Lord. You alone are righteous. You alone can judge. You see us and know that we need you to live. As I turn from my evil ways to face you, I fall to my knees in fear and love. For my life is in your hands. You alone are my refuge, my joy, my only hope. Restore me to your grace and lead me to eternal life with you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: