Monday, September 02, 2013

September 2nd Reflection - Choice - by Bill Lynch


Deuteronomy 30:15–20
See, I have set before you today life and prosperity, death and adversity. If you obey the commandments of the Lord your God that I am commanding you today, by loving the Lord your God, walking in his ways, and observing his commandments, decrees, and ordinances, then you shall live and become numerous, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land that you are entering to possess. But if your heart turns away and you do not hear, but are led astray to bow down to other gods and serve them, I declare to you today that you shall perish; you shall not live long in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess. I call heaven and earth to witness against you today that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Choose life so that you and your descendants may live, loving the Lord your God, obeying him, and holding fast to him; for that means life to you and length of days, so that you may live in the land that the Lord swore to give to your ancestors, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.


Reflection
God gives us the ability to choose. We can walk away from God if we want. God makes the results of this choice clear. Even though God welcomes us with open arms if we walk away and return, even though God continues to seek for us to be in his presence, God permits us to walk away if we choose. The consequences of that walk away, God makes clear. If we walk and choose to remain with other gods we will die.

We can't live without God. How could we? How could the created exist and live without the Creator? It only makes sense to me. The moment I think that I don't need my Creator, my God, my Savior, my Source of Life; I die. As it is we all will die some day. I would much rather die to myself and live to God than just die to myself. So, my choice is clear. At least, for me, I choose life with God. I give my life to God and love God for the life he gives. I seek to hear and do the will of God in my life and walk with God instead of away from God. I depend on God's discipline and love and grace to steer me back on the walk with him when I wander off on some tangent.

It's a choice between life and death that we are given. Just the ability to choose is a blessing from God. And I choose to die to self and live with God. I choose life with God. How about you?

Prayer
May the world come to see life in you and choose you Lord... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: