Tuesday, September 03, 2013

September 3rd Reflection - Human Clay - by Bill Lynch


Jeremiah 18:1–11
The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: “Come, go down to the potter’s house, and there I will let you hear my words.” So I went down to the potter’s house, and there he was working at his wheel. The vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter’s hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as seemed good to him. Then the word of the Lord came to me: Can I not do with you, O house of Israel, just as this potter has done? says the Lord. Just like the clay in the potter’s hand, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel. At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it. And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it.

Now, therefore, say to the people of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: Thus says the Lord: Look, I am a potter shaping evil against you and devising a plan against you. Turn now, all of you from your evil way, and amend your ways and your doings.

Reflection
This summer, while on vacation in the Smokys, I visited Alewine Pottery. I wanted to purchase a coffee mug for a souvenir. It was a difficult choice to make. Not two mugs were alike. I had to find the mug that was large like I wanted and one that just felt good to me. It has since become my favorite coffee mug. I was fortunate enough, while on my visit to the pottery house, to be able to see the owner making bowls at the time. I think he was in the business for around thirty years now. He made bowl after bowl. All the bowls were similar but none were identical. Even with this, once the firing took place the finish would always be slightly different. Each piece was unique, yet each piece was formed by the hand of the artist in multiple ways. If a bowl didn't begin or finish as desired the potter would rework the clay into what he wanted to see, or toss the clay aside for something else. All of this control was with the potter and his wishes. I had a wonderful time talking to the owner about his years of work and learning his passion for his trade. This experience just made the mug I purchased that much more special.

In this passage, God commands Jeremiah to visit the potter's house, in order that God could give Jeremiah understanding into the mind of God. God is working with human clay in this passage. Jeremiah witnessed the potters failure to make a vessel more than once. In this passage the potter chose to make the failed clay vessel into another vessel. God is the master of the human clay. God can choose to make the human clay into whatever God chooses. We peek into the mind of God and see the vessel he intended when God forms the human clay into a unique vessel that pleases God.

God can do this very same thing with me or with you. God can do this with the Church, a nation, a group or anything that God has created. We don't seek permission from God to change. God changes me. God changes me into what God wishes for me to be. I can respond to the change, just as God chooses to permit, and God does choose to permit us to respond. I can follow God's lead in change and seek to continually please God or I can walk away. But, even that, doesn't fail to give God the right to change me once again.

Sometimes the change feels good and sometimes the change hurts. It's not my choice but rather God's hand directing the change into something that pleases God. God can also shape something else for me to lead me to make up my mind to follow him. God is the creator and has choice also. So, I can use the change God makes in me to please God, or I can run from God. That is my choice so granted by God, but God still has his choice to continue changing me. I'm glad God is persistent with me in changing me into something he desires. Even when I try to run. I'm glad God pulls me from the wheel and goes at me again. Even if it hurts. God loves me and you enough to keep on working us.

I will respond to what pleases God. How about you?

Prayer
Lord, don't give up on me. Change me into what is pleasing to you... I'll listen and seek to make you happy... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: