Wednesday, September 04, 2013

September 4th Reflection - Resolve - by Bill Lynch


Psalm 1
Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path that sinners tread, or sit in the seat of scoffers;
but their delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law they meditate day and night.
They are like trees planted by streams of water, which yield their fruit in its season, and their leaves do not wither. In all that they do, they prosper.

The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
for the Lord watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.

Reflection
How pleasing it is to be around someone that puts a positive spin on life. Not someone that is blind to the evils of this world, but rather someone that doesn't exhibit sarcasm at every action that another person takes. Someone that knows the blessings they have received and lives into those blessings and is thankful to God.

Yet, I fall to this sarcasm. I fall into the trap of the scoffer. And when I do this I hate it. All it does is make things worse. So, instead of being fed by this, I seek to be fed with the water of God's Word. I change and look at the blessings God has granted and give thanks. I stop and take a drink of that wonderful baptismal water that God freely gives to sustain life with and in him.

The psalmist vows to stand with God and walk with God. This isn't to say that the psalmist is always the godly person that he wishes to be, or even that this walk with God will always be pleasing. It has more to say about the psalmist's resolve to be faithful to God. The psalmist delights in the Lord.

So, in my walk with God, I resolve to stand with God and walk in his will and his way. It's like a promise. God gives life and purpose and gracious love. So, I delight in God's commands and in God's Word and seek to live a pleasing life to God. I resolve to study and meditate on God's Word and listen and act upon God's call in my life. I draw rich life from God as he feeds me through his Word in Scripture, the Sacraments and his call in my life. God knows the way of the righteous and I seek God's will in my life.

What's your resolve?

Prayer
Lord, thanks for the blessing of your Son, Jesus, in my life. Thanks for the gifts you have given me through the Holy Spirit. Thanks for that daily call to action you give to me. Thanks for your walk by my side as I learn your will and your way in my life. Walk with me and feed me from the stream, that my leaves may not wither but bring joy to you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: