Friday, July 01, 2005

July 1st People Reflection

Friday 7/1/2005
Mark 11.1-14-Jesus triumphant ride into Jerusalem
1 Kings 1-Solomon is made King of Israel
Hosea 4.11b-5.4-Turn back to God
Zechariah 9.9-12-Lo your king comes to you; triumphant and victorious
is he, and riding on a donkey
Romans 13.1-7-Respect God and those he puts in positions of authority
Psalm 34-Bless God at all times- praise him forever

That sun set high in the sky tonight?A man walking a dog, while I was
sitting on a chair on top of a mountain ? watching the sun set into
the mountains?The sun almost got to the top of a mountain in the
distance when it went behind a cloud- and the man with his dog
comment ? ?That sun set high in the sky tonight.??Yea?it makes me
think of Jesus triumphant ride into Jerusalem ? even Solomon- his ride
as king of Israel- was sort of a fluke- His brother had pretty much
already set himself up as king and then Bathsheba found out what took
place and told King David that he had promised the kingship to
Solomon. So what does that have to do with a sunset that wasn?t quite
right- the sunset was still glorious- the clouds reflected the light
of the sun from behind- no it wasn?t quite the triumphant setting it
was supposed to be but maybe again it was?Jesus was riding into
Jerusalem and people were expecting him to rule as a powerful
political king?he died on a cross and was King forevermore over all
things ? not only political- sometimes I expect the perfect sunset to
occur- I expect Jesus to behave in a particular way- but I get
something different- but that difference is not what I want but what
God says I need-so too I need to turn from my sin- maybe not what I
want ? but what God says I need- so too I bless God and praise him
forever- because God is so much wiser that I can ever imagine- he will
provide for all my needs- even the ones I don?t even know I need- so
maybe that sunset high last night was what God felt I needed- not the
perfect sunset I had already had in mind ? but a sunset high in the
sky ? I think for last evening-I will praise God for a Son setting in
my life ? high in the sky?and give God all the praise and honor for
his triumphant entry into my life this day?maybe not what I expected-
but even better- because it?s what God knows I needed.

Prayer- Lord be with me today- enter into my life and throughout the
day reign in me as you wish- lead me ? let me serve you as King of my
life and give my life to you in joyful service- and at the end of the
day ? when the sun sets ? I will know that you have provided for all
my needs- saved me from sin-death and the devil and will provide the
rest I need for a bright new day to serve and love you ? my king and
authority. -- Amen

No comments: