Monday, August 12, 2013

August 12th Reflection by Bill Lynch


Jeremiah 23:23–29
Am I a God near by, says the Lord, and not a God far off? Who can hide in secret places so that I cannot see them? says the Lord. Do I not fill heaven and earth? says the Lord. I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy lies in my name, saying, “I have dreamed, I have dreamed!” How long? Will the hearts of the prophets ever turn back—those who prophesy lies, and who prophesy the deceit of their own heart? They plan to make my people forget my name by their dreams that they tell one another, just as their ancestors forgot my name for Baal. Let the prophet who has a dream tell the dream, but let the one who has my word speak my word faithfully. What has straw in common with wheat? says the Lord. Is not my word like fire, says the Lord, and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?

Reflection
You can't hide from God. Adam and Eve tried it and didn't get it. I try it when I know that I have sinned. We all try to hide from God. God is always closer than you think. God knows us intimately and is beside us at all times. God fills heaven and earth. After all God created all that exists, both seen and unseen.

You can't even hide from God in your dreams. You can't propose to know something special all by yourself through some made up story or dream. God knows all things and even knows what lies at the depth of your heart. If you deceive, God knows this.

We have been given God's Word. God's Word opened to us and revealed through the Holy Spirit in Scripture. God's Word revealed to us and shown to us in the Sacraments. God's Word brought into our lives in the flesh and blood of Jesus. We have been given God's Word.

In this passage we are given the sound of advice of caution against the lies of the false prophet. A false prophet that deceives and leads astray. We have God's Word and don't need to listen to the false prophet. We have God's Word to test the dreams and words and lies of the prophet. God's Word and the word of the prophet are eternally separated. But be careful of the words of the false prophet.

Prayer
Lord, I depend on your nearness to me in Word. Be with me as I walk in this world of false prophets. May I hear and see and be guided by your Word alone... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen


No comments: