Tuesday, August 27, 2013

August 27th Reflection - Walk - by Bill Lynch


Jeremiah 2:4–13
Hear the word of the Lord, O house of Jacob, and all the families of the house of Israel. Thus says the Lord: What wrong did your ancestors find in me that they went far from me, and went after worthless things, and became worthless themselves? They did not say, “Where is the Lord who brought us up from the land of Egypt, who led us in the wilderness, in a land of deserts and pits, in a land of drought and deep darkness, in a land that no one passes through, where no one lives?” I brought you into a plentiful land to eat its fruits and its good things. But when you entered you defiled my land, and made my heritage an abomination. The priests did not say, “Where is the Lord?” Those who handle the law did not know me; the rulers transgressed against me; the prophets prophesied by Baal, and went after things that do not profit.

Therefore once more I accuse you, says the Lord, and I accuse your children’s children. Cross to the coasts of Cyprus and look, send to Kedar and examine with care; see if there has ever been such a thing. Has a nation changed its gods, even though they are no gods? But my people have changed their glory for something that does not profit. Be appalled, O heavens, at this, be shocked, be utterly desolate, says the Lord, for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living water, and dug out cisterns for themselves, cracked cisterns that can hold no water.

Reflection
God comes to me and walks with me. God is faithful and just and true. Yet, how quickly I forget that walk. How quickly, once things have turned for the better, do I forget God's presence. I turn from God in my blessings and give myself the credit. I turn from God in my blessings and seek something new and different. I turn from God to sex and money and what I believe will bring pleasure. I forget God's presence and go it all alone. How foolish! How foolish a man I can be!

This is just the character traits that Jeremiah speaks of in the passage above. Let's face it, we all do this at some time and in some way. We should be ashamed of ourselves and run to God in confession seeking forgiveness. I need to learn from this passage.

God is merciful and gracious and slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. Do a word search in the Bible and you will be amazed at how many times these words appear throughout Scripture. Stop it and think about that. Think about that and let it sink in really deep. Without God there is nothing, absolutely nothing.

In the passage above; there was a time when Israel was steadfast in love towards God. They were careful to follow God and watchful of their own failings. God reminds the Israelites of his love. God was on that walk with the Israelites in Egypt and in the desert and upon the entry into the promised land. God was on that walk with the Israelites in the tough times. God richly blessed the Israelites. God did not break the trust.

But, once in the Promised Land, the Israelites turned to pagan gods. They turned to the ways of all the people that were around them and some of whom were with them. The Israelites abandoned God for what was false and even made up by other men.

Here is the lesson for me to learn. In the midst of the blessings, continue in praise and thanksgiving to God. Don't let sin and the devil fool me into turning from God to worship other gods. Look around! God is still there. God's there in the blessing to share a laugh. God's there in the blessing to lift me up and make me a blessing to someone else in need. Don't stop in the good times my walk with God. God doesn't stop the walk and I shouldn't either.

God paid the ultimate price in the life of Jesus to walk with me. Jesus didn't have to do this. Jesus came to me for my sake. The Holy Spirit descended to fill my life with gifts I didn't deserve. To fill me with gifts that could be used in service to God's plan and God's will and God's way through me. The walk with God is life and love and compassion and service and faith and hope. What a walk! And God chose to walk with me... now how great is that?! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, forgive my selfish attitude that turns me from you to pagan gods. Walking with you is all I want to do... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: