Friday, August 02, 2013

August 2nd Reflection by Bill Lynch


Colossians 3:1–11
So if you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth, for you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life is revealed, then you also will be revealed with him in glory.

Put to death, therefore, whatever in you is earthly: fornication, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed (which is idolatry). On account of these the wrath of God is coming on those who are disobedient. These are the ways you also once followed, when you were living that life.

But now you must get rid of all such things—anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive language from your mouth. Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have stripped off the old self with its practices and have clothed yourselves with the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge according to the image of its creator. In that renewal there is no longer Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and free; but Christ is all and in all!

Reflection
It feels like a lifetime of seeking the things that are above. I want to do all of those things, yet those things that I wish to get rid of keep jumping up in my way. I do those things I want to get rid of. So, I continue to seek the things that are above, while trusting that God will put to death the earthly in me.

I live to put off the man in me and live to put on Christ. I must die with Christ in order to be raised with Christ to new life. When I was baptized I was buried under that water in my sin. An old life died with Christ on the cross and under that water. As I came out of that water I was raised to a new life with Christ in Christ's resurrection. In my baptism, God transformed me. In my baptism God began something new in me. So, now I seek those things that are above where Christ is.

I'm in a constant walk with Christ and Christ is my goal. I am united with Christ in death and in new life. I set my eyes on Christ as I walk in this life. Always struggling to die to myself and live to Christ. So, even though I'm not there yet, Christ is leading me there. There to where he will always be. There to that new life fulfilled, resurrected and triumphant in Christ.

So, for now... I'm in a lifetime of continuous renewal. I'm living my baptism day by day, as God puts to death the man in me as Christ died on the cross and raising the new life in me as Christ rose from the dead. It feels like a lifetime of seeking the things that are above all along with the Christ that is here and now. I focus on Christ here and now and into eternity in the newness of life. God has done it all for me and for you. All in his love... all in Christ's salvation... all in the Spirit of new life.

Prayer
Lord, help me keep the focus on you. What else can I do? I need you to lead and guide me along this way. Only you can save me and make me new... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen


No comments: