Thursday, August 29, 2013

August 29th Reflection - God Feeds - by Bill Lynch


Psalm 81:1, 10–16
Sing aloud to God our strength; shout for joy to the God of Jacob.

I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.

“But my people did not listen to my voice; Israel would not submit to me.
So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts, to follow their own counsels.
O that my people would listen to me, that Israel would walk in my ways!
Then I would quickly subdue their enemies, and turn my hand against their foes.
Those who hate the Lord would cringe before him, and their doom would last forever.
I would feed you with the finest of the wheat, and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you.”

Reflection
God feeds me. God feeds me and nourishes me with his Word. And God blesses me with daily bread. Daily bread and everything I need to exist here in this place. God feeds me with food, with education, with work, with fellowship, as well as with Scripture. God feeds me with the bread and wine, the body and blood of his saving grace. God feeds!

Will I listen to his voice? Will I open my mouth wide to be fed by God? I will and I must. I must to live. I can't live without God feeding me. I can't live without God's walk with me. I can't live without God to save me and care for me. Sure, I can exist, but I can't live without God.

For those who abandon God; I pray for them. I pray that they will come to see the need to be fed by God. I pray that they may come to that point when they open their mouths full wide open to take in the food God has to give. Yes, the food that sustains real life and joy. The food of God.

This psalm is associated with the Feast of Tabernacles. A time where God's law was placed before the people. A celebration of the Israelites journey in the wilderness. Sometimes this feast was called the Feast of Booths, when the Israelites would build temporary shelters just like they had while wandering in the wilderness. It is a time of joy and thanksgiving for God's loving care and blessings while in the wilderness.

Yes, God fed the Israelites in the wilderness just as God feeds me and you in the wilderness of our lives. God always loves his people. But, if his people choose to be stubborn, God grants the will to let them choose for themselves if they will willingly receive the food God has to offer. God awaits our obedience and response to his love.

And to those that choose to receive, God grants not only food for the body but also food for the spirit in abundance. God grants food rich with honey from the rock. God grants his love and grace. Yes, in the bread and the wine, the body and the blood, God gave himself in Jesus to save us and grant us real and true life. Life in him.

God feeds me and God feeds you. All are welcome to take in the food of God. Let's eat!

Prayer
Lord, my mouth is open with... feed me with Jesus... feed me with your love and compassion... feed me the bread and the wine... feed me the body and blood... feed me, that I may live in you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: