Saturday, August 24, 2013

August 24th Reflection - The Light - by Bill Lynch


Hebrews 12:18–29
You have not come to something that can be touched, a blazing fire, and darkness, and gloom, and a tempest, and the sound of a trumpet, and a voice whose words made the hearers beg that not another word be spoken to them. (For they could not endure the order that was given, “If even an animal touches the mountain, it shall be stoned to death.” Indeed, so terrifying was the sight that Moses said, “I tremble with fear.”) But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering, and to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel. See that you do not refuse the one who is speaking; for if they did not escape when they refused the one who warned them on earth, how much less will we escape if we reject the one who warns from heaven! At that time his voice shook the earth; but now he has promised, “Yet once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heaven.” This phrase, “Yet once more,” indicates the removal of what is shaken—that is, created things—so that what cannot be shaken may remain. Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us give thanks, by which we offer to God an acceptable worship with reverence and awe; for indeed our God is a consuming fire.

Reflection
Do you ever think about approaching the Throne of God in heaven? The beginning of this passage makes me think about this. What would it be like to come to God in all of his glory? I can only relate with things that I know. It's hard to think about approaching something that I can't see, hear, touch, feel or taste. This passage makes me think about a God that goes beyond my senses to something else. Something that is beyond my ability to describe.

I wonder if when Moses met with God that he experienced this feeling also? This summer during vacation in the Smoky Mountains we stayed on top of English Mountain. At the bottom of this mountain was the Forbidden Caverns. Talk about extremes. At one moment it seemed we were above the clouds and in the sunlight, and the next we were in the bowels of the earth. In our tour of the Forbidden Caverns, I experienced total darkness. Total light and total darkness are hard to take into our senses. Have you ever accidentally looked directly into the sun? You can't stand it, so you look away. The same happens with total darkness. You can't stand it and need even just a candle to lead the way. I think of this when I read this passage and think about standing before the Throne of God. I can't take it for long. It's too much for me as a man to take.

But, out great God chose to come to us. God chose to come to us in flesh and spirit. God sent his Son, Jesus to walk a life with us. God sent the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us at all times. Even though I can't stand alone and take the presence of God very long; God chooses to stand with me in my presence all of the time. Even though I shed the blood of man through the death of Abel in my sin; God chooses to shed his blood in Jesus for my sin.

God comes to us to save us and change us and to be with us, even when we can't stand in God's presence on our own. But it's not about my ability to stand before God. It's about God's choice to stand with me and you and to save me and you. This is about God's presence. I would never be able to stand before God's Throne on my own merit. But God chooses to stand with me and you on his own merit.

And in this we are thankful. In this action of God we give our thanks and honor and praise to a God that stands with us. In this we place our hope and trust. In this God that comes to us, we have faith.

God has reversed it all! Now as a believer, I stare at the Light. I hold my gaze on that blinding Light that is Jesus my God and my Savior. I run to the foot of the Spirit to hear God's Word and receive my daily calling in life. I am focused on the Throne of God because I can't help myself. I can't stand not to look at the Light of God. For by the blood of Jesus, by the love of the Spirit, by the compassion of the Father; I am drawn to follow God throughout life and into eternity.

Yes, God is way more than I can fathom. God is completely beyond my thinking. God is so far above and beyond me. But God comes to you and to me. God comes and is present. How could I but not help to be present with God. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, you leave me speechless... hear my prayer... today... tomorrow... and forever, may you always be in my presence and I in yours. --- Amen

No comments: