Monday, August 26, 2013

August 26th Reflection - Humility - by Bill Lynch


Proverbs 25:6–7
Do not put yourself forward in the king’s presence
or stand in the place of the great;
for it is better to be told, “Come up here,”
than to be put lower in the presence of a noble.

Reflection
This passage speaks to humility in my opinion. I remember a conversation that I had about twenty years ago about being humble with a person I worked along side of. I felt it was important to be humble. He felt that being humble displayed a weakness and should be avoided and hidden. After we spoke a while I made my case that humility was rather a strong character trait in that you knew that you were there to serve and honor others in God's presence. God would raise you up if God so chose to do so and that to be raised up by humans was a result of God's action in your life. It was a wonderful conversation and this comes up from time to time. I love to be open to new viewpoints and can learn from another and do learn from others every day.

A humble person does not claim more for themselves than what has been given to them in life. A humble person feels blessed with what God gives in the present. A humble person doesn't try to presume to be something they are not. A humble person honors other's and does not better themselves at the price of another.

A humble person does not humiliate another human. A humble person does not exhibit an arrogant attitude towards others.

God exalts the humble.

Being humble is to be highly valued in life and in people.

Prayer
Lord, you bring down the arrogant and the proud and raise up the humble. Grant me a spirit of humility. For your creation is good and right. Walk with me in this life of humility and give me the strength and wisdom to learn from the times when I am arrogant and proud and hurtful to others. Forgive me for my arrogance. Show me your will and your way in life... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: