Friday, August 23, 2013

August 23rd Reflection - Hold On - by Bill Lynch


Psalm 71
In you, O Lord, I take refuge; let me never be put to shame.
In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me; incline your ear to me and save me.
Be to me a rock of refuge, a strong fortress, to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.

Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked, from the grasp of the unjust and cruel.
For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O Lord, from my youth.
Upon you I have leaned from my birth; it was you who took me from my mother’s womb. My praise is continually of you.

Reflection
I long to cling to something. I need to cling to something. I need to hold on tight at times. Especially when I'm afraid or in danger. I look for someone or something to take hold of that gives comfort. When I was young, it was my pillow. At night and through the day, I would cling to that pillow. It was always with me when I wanted it to be. Even Mom, knew the importance of my pillow and would keep it in good condition. But, as happens through time and growing, the pillow is set aside. In fact, when cleaning out my Mom's basement, I found the pillow. It was hard as a rock! I guess it was petrified for all time. So, the pillow is gone now. But the desire to cling, to hold tight to someone or something returns.

God is always present. God is with his children in all circumstances. God is that rock of a pillow that is always there to hold on to, to cling to, to go to for comfort. But, even knowing the presence of God, I attempt to run and cling to false gods for comfort. I cling to money for security. I cling to someone or something else that couldn't ever save me in the first place. And then I turn to God. Turn to God and repent of my sin. Turn to God and cling to Jesus my Savior. Jesus, God's Word made flesh for me and for you. That's all I need and that's all you need also.

This psalm is the prayer of an old man. A man that lived long and hard and depended on God throughout life. A man that has learned that God is the only thing that can save. An old man that knows the traps and failures of clinging to false gods. A man, unafraid to ask for God's help in life. This is a psalm of an old man that appreciates God. An old man with God as his focus in life.

I think this old guy has it right.

"For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O Lord, from my youth.
Upon you I have leaned from my birth; it was you who took me from my mother’s womb. My praise is continually of you."

Prayer
Lord, I run to you and cling tight in trust and hope all lifelong. I will always praise you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: