Saturday, August 15, 2009

August 15th - Reflection

Video
http://www.tangle.com/view_video?viewkey=e52499be711fb54303ff

Readings
Nehemiah 9:22-10:39
Nevertheless, in your great mercies you did not make an end of them or forsake them, for you are a gracious and merciful God. - Nehemiah 9:32
1 Corinthians 9:19-10:13
God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13b
Psalm 34:1-10
This pour soul cried, and was heard by the LORD, and was saved from every trouble. - Psalm 34:6
Proverbs 21:13
If you close your ear to the cry of the poor, you will cry out and not be heard. - Proverbs 21:13

Reflection
The plastic Jesus. The one on the dash that is not real. Sometimes it seems I reach out to the plastic Jesus, that Jesus I have created. You know the Jesus I'm talking about, the one that obeys your commands and heals, and saves, and digs you out of any type of trouble you have gotten into. Well, that plastic Jesus is not real. He is only something created by humans. He doesn't exist. And in a car wreck he will crumble and break apart just like the rest of the car.

Sometimes I know how to say all the right words. I know how to hide behind the veil of sin and death and cover it all up. But when I stop and confess, I know that the Jesus I come to is not the plastic Jesus, but the real Jesus. This is the Jesus that sees right through my sinful selfishness. He can tell when I'm in a cover up.

So I open up. I confess my faults and sins. I tell it all. I remove the veil to the Lord of Life and He is merciful and gracious. All through time, God has acted in love to save those He loves. Sure, He has also judged those who have turned away, but He continually reached out to them. In this body of sin, illness, and death, I turn to the Author of Creation and know that I depend on Him for life. And He opens His arms wide, not testing me beyond what I can stand, but saving me from it all in a new life of joy and thanksgiving. Yes, there will be struggles. Sure there will be pain. But I know, that there in the lead, is One I can focus my life on....not a plastic Jesus that I have created...but a Jesus that has come to me and you to save.

Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, forgive me for creating You in my image. Forgive me for my arrogance of control in my life. I turn to You in time of need. I open my sinful life to Your inspection and ask You to save me from myself, sin, death and the devil. Only You can save me. In the great name of Jesus, I pray. ---Amen

No comments: