Friday, August 21, 2009

August 21st - Reflection

Video
http://www.tangle.com/view_video?viewkey=34ee0eeefb02b5592834

Readings
Job 1:1-3:26
"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I shall return there; the LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." - Job 1:21
1 Corinthians 14:1-17
Pursue love and strive for the spiritual gifts, and especially that you may prophesy. - 1 Corinthians 14:1
Psalms 37:12-29
Our steps are made firm by the LORD, when he delights in our way; though we stumble, we shall not fall headlong, for the LORD holds us by the hand. - Psalms 37:23-24
Proverbs 21:25-26

Reflection
Would there, or could there, or even will there, be the day that the Church will come together, here on this earth, and unite around what we have in common, rather than divide on what we see as our differences? If the body of Christ came together and had two hands doing the same thing, and two feet going the same direction, and one heart of love for God and humankind; what a difference this world would be. As we strive to make this vision true, we still live in a world and a church that is divided. Is our division a means for us to talk and understand and listen to one another? Or is our division a means for coming together to listen, and seek to understand the will of God, and that direction in our lives?

Naked I came from my mother's womb and naked I shall return there. Return to my mother's womb? Like Nicodemus, I ask the question..."Lord, tell me how I will return to my mother's womb?"

Maybe, just maybe, the answer is similar. Maybe God created me naked and fully dependant upon Him. I actually came from the womb of God my Mother and Creator. I live and flourish and try to make it on my own. But my sinful self soon comes to the realization that I cannot make it on my own. Even the clothes I put on and the thinking I place into my mind will not save me from sin, death and the devil. So I shed theses clothes of sinful selfishness. I shed these clothes of idolatry and come back to my God, my Mother, my Creator naked, and depend on Her gracious act of love to give me new life and a new unity and a new likeness with all humanity in the saving acts of Jesus Christ my Savior. Born anew finally into this new life from my Mother's womb I live in the unity and Oneness of the Church of Jesus Christ. The Church united by the life we have in common and the God we have in common. No longer divided by our differences but with all hands raised in praise and all voices singing praise to our God and King!

Thanks be to God! Raise your hands in praise and unity, now and forever.

Prayer
Lord, unite us in eternal praise with hands raised to Your glory. Unite us with hands outstretched in love to do Your will and Your work in this world You have placed us in this day. Unite us as Your Church throughout all time and place in the saving grace of Your Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ, now and forever. ---Amen

No comments: