Wednesday, October 21, 2009

October 21st - Reflection

Video
http://www.tangle.com/view_video?viewkey=77647fc3ce406950d943

Readings
Jeremiah 37:1-38:28
Jeremiah 38:6b - Now there was no water in the cistern, but only mud, and Jeremiah sank in the mud.
1 Timothy 6:1-21
1 Timothy 6:11-12 - But as for you, man of God, shun all this; pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith; take hold of the eternal, to which you were called and for which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
Psalm 89:38-52
Psalm 89:48a - Who can live and never see death?
Proverbs 25:28

Reflection
Jeremiah was thrown into the cistern because the people didn't want to hear the truth of what he had to see. There was no water in the cistern and he sank in the mud. I wonder if Jeremiah had felt abandoned by God? I wonder if he felt that the absence of God's Holy and life giving water was a judgment on his life? I wonder if the mud felt like evil in this world to him?

Jesus hung from a cross and cried out to the Father. Why have you abandoned me? I wonder if Jesus felt the absence of God? I wonder if Jesus felt the mud that Jeremiah felt years ago? I wonder if Jesus felt the blood along with the sweat and the mud of Jeremiah was like evil in this world to him?

A young man professed the existence of God in his life. He professed that evil was the absence of God's love. I wonder if the young man felt the mud and sweat and blood and absence of God when later in life he would question and theorize a science that would be used for good and evil?

What I do know is that there is life giving water in baptism. Freely given. There is the body and blood and sweat that Jesus gave up for my sin. There is a resurrection. There is an ascension. There is the gifts of the Holy Spirit. There is the existence of God. There is love in the hearts of people in this world. There is the one holy Catholic church. There is a communion of saints. There is the presence of God here and now even in the midst of this evil world. There IS God!

So...pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, gentleness and endurance. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal to which you were called and confessed your faith in the presence of many witnesses. There is a God...and His love is active in you...even in the midst of evil. Now go, and serve the Lord!

Prayer
Lord, I believe in You. I see Your love daily. I know of Your presence. And I go out active and called in the love You place within me. Thanks be to God! ---Amen

No comments: