Tuesday, October 06, 2009

October 6th - Reflection

Video
http://www.tangle.com/view_video?viewkey=b9606bd9fabdf44e2501

Readings
Jeremiah 6:16-8:7
Jeremiah 7:2 - Stand in the gate of the LORD's house, and proclaim there this word, and say, Hear the word of the LORD, all you people of Judah, you that enter these gates to worship the LORD.
Colossians 2:8-23
Colossians 2:8 - See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the universe, and not according to Christ.
Psalm 78:1-31
Psalm 78:1 - Give ear, O my people, to my teaching; incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
Proverbs 24:26
Proverbs 24:26 - One who gives an honest answer gives a kiss on the lips.

Reflection
I can remember in my school days saying the Pledge of Allegiance each and every morning as we stood by our desks, staring at the flag in the room with hands over hearts. I can also remember the joy of Tuesday evenings. I couldn't wait for the Red Skelton show to come on in the evening. I had to have all of my homework finished to get to stay up and watch the show. He was one of my favorite comedians. He was genuine at heart, open and honest and funny in the wholesome sense of the word.

This video took me back to those days. But as I listened to Red's words, I couldn't help to listen to them from the standpoint of a Christian. What if we were to pledge those words to our God? What if every Christian were to really pledge in this way? Would the actions we take change?

Here, in this video, we see the pledge to country. In my mind country is a couple of notches below God in my pecking order. My priorities seem to be God, Church, Family then Country. I'm sure others have their own list. And I'm also sure that my list of priorities has changed at different times in my life. But my point is; if we were to truly pledge this allegiance to Country; what allegiance do we truly pledge to God?

So just as we used to focus on the flag in the school days; I think our focus should be on Jesus in our Church's. Look at Jesus' life and his actions. He pledged allegiance to God all the way. Even in Jesus' doubt during prayer in the Garden, Jesus pledged allegiance to God, even a walk to death. So as a Christian, I am honored to pledge my allegiance to Jesus, to walk the path He has given, guided by the Holy Spirit. The journey will be hard and I will shake in fear at times. But I have pledged allegiance to Jesus and will take that stand.

Where do you stand?

Prayer
Lord, as I come to You in prayer, I find it hard to pledge total allegiance. I'm afraid. But You help me overcome fear. You make me bold enough and zealous enough to follow in Your Way. Send now Your Holy Spirit to lead and guide me and to help me see the hope I have in You so that I may overcome the fear and boldly step out in faith and love towards you. Teach me to serve You and others in love this day to Your honor and glory. ---Amen

No comments: