Thursday, June 16, 2011

June 16th - Reflection


2 Timothy 1:8-12a (NRSV)
Grace revealed in Christ

Do not be ashamed, then, of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel, relying on the power of God, who saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works but according to his own purpose and grace. This grace was given to us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. For this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher, and for this reason I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know the one in whom I have put my trust.

Reflection
We like to think that If we're good enough at something we will be put to use at that particular thing. This may or may not work with God. God does not call us because we are good. God calls us for his own purpose. You don't get to pick or choose God's calling. You may or may not even get to choose if you are going to participate in that calling. It's not about me or what I want. It's all about what God has in store.

But, when you look at things differently. God gave life. Jesus saved us from eternal hell and damnation and gave us life. Our life is not our own. Our life belongs to God. When we believe and accept the gift of salvation through Jesus, it no longer is about you or I anyway. We see that it's all about God.

Our response to this gift draws us to worship and praise God. Our response draws us to prayer and listening to God's Word and will for our lives. Our response is of such joy and love that we willingly and gladly give our lives back to God, not out of goodness, but out of joy for what God has done for us.

So, we discern what God is calling us to do. The Spirit empowers us with gifts to use towards the calling God has for us. And we joyfully, maybe fearfully, but joyfully, go into the ministry God has called for us to take action.

If that leads us to prison such as Paul. We are not ashamed of God. We are proud of God and are willing to endure all things. For in God is life. In God we place our trust. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, lead me to obedience in your will and your way. Make my path clear. For I am so anxious to do all that you have in store for me to do...today...tomorrow...and forever. --- Amen

No comments: