Wednesday, June 22, 2011

June 22nd - Reflection


John 14:25-26 (NRSV)
Father, Son, Spirit
"I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you.
Reflection
A Paraclete statement. Now there is a funny word. Paraclete means Advocate. It's a term that belongs to the courts such as your attorney. Jesus is our Paraclete. So when Jesus gave the statement above it brought comfort to the disciples. The Holy Spirit would be an extension of Jesus in this case. The Holy Spirit would take the teachings of Jesus into the world through the disciples. The Paraclete would aid the disciples in understanding the truth. And as we have heard during Jesus trial, the Truth is Jesus.

Through the Holy Spirit we receive the comfort of Jesus and the teachings and the "memory" of Jesus' teachings. It's kind of like that urge to dig deeper, that movement towards a closer relationship with God in Father, Son and Spirit. It's like the inward movement of God into my and your being of life.

What a wonderful gift and comfort statement from Jesus to his disciples...a Paraclete statement. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, move close to me as I move closer to you...teach me I pray. --- Amen

No comments: