Tuesday, June 28, 2011

June 28th - Reflection


1 Kings 21:17-29 (NRSV)
Elijah confronts Ahab

Then the word of the Lord came to Elijah the Tishbite, saying: Go down to meet King Ahab of Israel, who rules in Samaria; he is now in the vineyard of Naboth, where he has gone to take possession. You shall say to him, "Thus says the Lord: Have you killed, and also taken possession?" You shall say to him, "Thus says the Lord: In the place where dogs licked up the blood of Naboth, dogs will also lick up your blood."

Ahab said to Elijah, "Have you found me, O my enemy?" He answered, "I have found you. Because you have sold yourself to do what is evil in the sight of the Lord, I will bring disaster on you; I will consume you, and will cut off from Ahab every male, bond or free, in Israel; and I will make your house like the house of Jeroboam son of Nebat, and like the house of Baasha son of Ahijah, because you have provoked me to anger and have caused Israel to sin. Also concerning Jezebel the Lord said, 'The dogs shall eat Jezebel within the bounds of Jezreel.' Anyone belonging to Ahab who dies in the city the dogs shall eat; and anyone of his who dies in the open country the birds of the air shall eat."

(Indeed, there was no one like Ahab, who sold himself to do what was evil in the sight of the Lord, urged on by his wife Jezebel. He acted most abominably in going after idols, as the Amorites had done, whom the Lord drove out before the Israelites.)

When Ahab heard those words, he tore his clothes and put sackcloth over his bare flesh; he fasted, lay in the sackcloth, and went about dejectedly. Then the word of the Lord came to Elijah the Tishbite: "Have you seen how Ahab has humbled himself before me? Because he has humbled himself before me, I will not bring the disaster in his days; but in his son's days I will bring the disaster on his house."

Reflection
The Lord speaks through Elijah and correction is brought to Ahab and Jezebel. Ahab repents and the punishment is delayed. When we hear God speak to us about a social or political wrong against another person, we stand up and voice that opinion. At least we may be able to delay a decision that leads to injustice if not remove the injustice. Not always will this work But it is best to know that you stood up and took a stand in the direction that you thought God was leading you.

In prayer and study of the Word, listening to fellow disciples, take these decisions seriously. Then boldly step out. Be willing to be found wrong. We all make mistakes. But by all means take the stand and work the decision. Constantly bouncing off your steps on the Holy Spirit in prayer.

Prayer
Lord, lead me and guide me in the words I say and the actions I take this day that they my be the words and actions you have designed for me. --- Amen

No comments: