Saturday, November 10, 2012

November 10th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Mark 12:38-44

Jesus Denounces the Scribes

 As he taught, he said, ‘Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and to be greeted with respect in the market-places, and to have the best seats in the synagogues and places of honour at banquets! They devour widows’ houses and for the sake of appearance say long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation.’

The Widow’s Offering

 He sat down opposite the treasury, and watched the crowd putting money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which are worth a penny. Then he called his disciples and said to them, ‘Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury. For all of them have contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.’

Reflection
Jesus could attract the crowds that was sure. People came to hear his wisdom. The scribes of the day did not seem to care for Jesus. I think the general consensus was to get rid of Jesus. Still there is something intriguing about a guy that is not in awe of the religious leaders of the day but rather comments on  the actions of an extremely poor widow.

Jesus had a view of what was going on. Sure, there were those with money that could easily contribute. That wasn't what grabbed Jesus attention. You see, it wasn't the religious leaders with power or the rich with power of the day that caught Jesus' attention. It was the widow lady with only a couple of coins.

The lady gave all she had. Could it be that God the Father was teaching God the Son a lesson through this widow lady? "Look, Son, I've sent you to give it all. See this widow? She just gave all she had. You will do likewise. You will teach this to your disciples and all the world." We're not talking about a couple of money coins here, we're talking about the love of God.

God loves his people with all he has. And we too are to love God with all we have as well as love each other with all the love we have. It's a tall order. An order that only Jesus could fully carry out. But through what Jesus has done, we too are now free to give our all to God and one another. Free to give it up without fear. Free to give our love because God loved us.

Prayer
I think I give it all, only to find I didn't. Lord Jesus, I know that you came to give it all. I know that you will present me before the throne as your disciple. But, I need your forgiveness. I need the freedom to go back at it once again and give all my love. Give my love even in the midst of my failure with the hope and assurance that I can start all over at it again tomorrow. Lord, lead me and guide me and grow me into what you would have me be... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: