Wednesday, November 14, 2012

November 14th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Hebrews 10:11-25

 And every priest stands day after day at his service, offering again and again the same sacrifices that can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, ‘he sat down at the right hand of God’, and since then has been waiting ‘until his enemies would be made a footstool for his feet.’ For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are sanctified. And the Holy Spirit also testifies to us, for after saying,
‘This is the covenant that I will make with them
   after those days, says the Lord:
I will put my laws in their hearts,
   and I will write them on their minds’,
he also adds,
‘I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more.’
Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer any offering for sin.

A Call to Persevere

 Therefore, my friends, since we have confidence to enter the sanctuary by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain (that is, through his flesh), and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us approach with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who has promised is faithful. And let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good deeds, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Reflection
I attended a wonderful Concert around the theme of the Psalms at Christ the King Lutheran Church in West Chester. My daughter attends this church and sings in the choir. This picture reminds me of the reading in that it seemed to me that the very nature of God was open and present all around the altar of God that afternoon. Jesus had opened the curtain for a direct look into the eyes of God through those writing the psalms and in this case those singing and presenting the psalms to us through music.

In this passage, I take comfort in that Jesus is already present and sitting on the throne. Jesus has already made the offering of himself for my salvation. Everything that opposes Jesus and his will and his way has been defeated. God will remember the sins of his people no more. Jesus offering is all that is needed... nothing more. And all I need to do is accept this gracious gift and act of God. Accept what has already been completed and done.

I am called to enter into the presence of God. I can enter before God due to the faith, hope and love I have come to believe and depend upon through what Jesus has already done for me. This is a joy available to all people throughout all time. A joy available through the Holy Spirit's call to each one of us and the gifts he has given to us as we respond to the love of God.

We now have free access to God opened to us at the crucifixion of Jesus on that cross that comes to all before and after this single saving act of God for his creation and rescues us from our fallen nature. God became flesh and opened to us his presence and with his own blood saved us. So now we can come into God's presence with a true and faithful heart, assured of what Jesus has done in our stead. We can come forth in the faith that our deeds and good works by one and all are in the hope and certainty a response to what Jesus has shown and done for us.

Prayer
Lord, you give me the confidence I need to serve in your name, knowing that all you have done permits me to be open to you and see your wonderful glory... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: