Sunday, November 11, 2012

November 11th Reflection by Bill Lynch



24th Sunday After Pentecost 
Mark 12:38-44 (NRSV)
A widow's generosity 

As he taught, he said, "Beware of the scribes, who like to walk around in long robes, and to be greeted with respect in the marketplaces, and to have the best seats in the synagogues and places of honor at banquets! They devour widows' houses and for the sake of appearance say long prayers. They will receive the greater condemnation."

He sat down opposite the treasury, and watched the crowd putting money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums. A poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which are worth a penny. Then he called his disciples and said to them, "Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the treasury. For all of them have contributed out of their abundance; but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on."

Reflection
I had grown old through the ages. Now approaching 75 years of age, I could relate to the maple tree that was planted on the day of my birth. Years since childhood, I grew up in this house and now reside in the house of my childhood. It's just me now. My wife passed away years ago. My children have left the house to move on to bigger and better things. It's just me and my maple wood tree out the window there.

I saw years of growth by this tree. Years of leaves coming and going. But some splits have come on the wood. There is rot and insect damage. The tree has become a threat to the house now. The neighbors and friends and family have told me that this old maple tree needs to come down.

But I can't help but to think of the life of this maple tree. The winters weathered and the summers endured. This tree has given it's all throughout life to me. So as we took the tree down we made sure that every single twig, branch and log could be used for firewood. Yes, it was great firewood that year that it was so cold that the power went out. That firewood saved me that cold winter.

The maple tree gave all to me. From birth to old age. That maple tree even saved me during that cold winter nights when the power was out.

And then I stopped one evening and thought about what or even who gives all out of love throughout our lives for us. Suddenly that maple tree took on the shape of a cross in my mind and Jesus appeared standing beside the cross. My maple tree had shown me the salvation of all people. My maple tree displayed high above the earth the one person that gave all out of love to all people. Jesus gave his all to save each and all of us. All out of love. Jesus gave all for the love of others. The maple tree gave all for the love of me. I shall give all, even in my old age, for the love of those God gives to me.

Wow! Who would of thought of the love from a maple tree planted 75 years ago at my birth. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, open my eyes to the numerous opportunities to give all my love to you and to those you give to me this day... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: