Friday, November 16, 2012

November 16th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Mark 13:1-8
The Destruction of the Temple Foretold

As he came out of the temple, one of his disciples said to him, ‘Look, Teacher, what large stones and what large buildings!’ Then Jesus asked him, ‘Do you see these great buildings? Not one stone will be left here upon another; all will be thrown down.’

 When he was sitting on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter, James, John, and Andrew asked him privately, ‘Tell us, when will this be, and what will be the sign that all these things are about to be accomplished?’ Then Jesus began to say to them, ‘Beware that no one leads you astray. Many will come in my name and say, “I am he!” and they will lead many astray. When you hear of wars and rumours of wars, do not be alarmed; this must take place, but the end is still to come. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; there will be earthquakes in various places; there will be famines. This is but the beginning of the birth pangs.

Reflection
I have to admit, I was big for a stone. I overheard a measurement as I was being put in place that I was around thirty foot wide. I brought stability and strength when combined with the other stones put in place as together we formed the temple of God. As the temple, we were to display the glory of God. I think we did this very thing in a wonderful and glorious way. But we weren't all there was about God. I knew this after years of witnessing God's presence inside the temple. I realized that God couldn't be contained within the wall of this temple of stone, even if you consider all of the precious metals contained all around us stones here.

So when Jesus said there would be a day that all of us stones would be thrown down, I didn't doubt his words one bit. I know the power of God even in my life. God's power goes way beyond the movement and adornment of large stones like myself. God's power goes way beyond this place, this earth and reaches beyond anything that any of us could ever imagine.

But God's power does not go beyond what Jesus could imagine. Jesus knows what it takes to create. Jesus knows the depths of God's love for his creation. Jesus knows God. Jesus is God. So when I heard the words of Jesus, I listened. Don't you think you should listen too?

Prayer
Lord, I will listen to your voice. You are my Shepherd, my Leader, my God and my Savior. Help me to understand what you have to say and to follow you in the way that pleases you... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: