Monday, November 12, 2012

November 12th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Daniel 12:1-3
The Resurrection of the Dead

‘At that time Michael, the great prince, the protector of your people, shall arise. There shall be a time of anguish, such as has never occurred since nations first came into existence. But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone who is found written in the book. Many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. Those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever.

Reflection
"And even though he was dead, he requested a cheeseburger."

This was my wife Sue recounting a dream her sister, Amy,  told her about her Dad. I'm not sure if I got the statement exactly correct but it's close to what I remember. Sue's father died this past September and dreams seem to be easy to come as memories flood into our minds.

It's only three verses, but after a little bit of research on my part... Wow! Only three is enough!

Michael is the patron angel of the Jews. Daniel sees a couple of angels by a stream and wants to know how long until the end. The answer is three and a half years, maybe 1,290 days or maybe 1,335 days. For my part... who knows?

Seems something is really wrong here at this time. Perhaps it even carries on to this day. I'm sure it does. There has been something really wrong for some time now. A couple of things I take from this passage that bring great comfort. There will be a resurrection. And considering this is an Old Testament passage, this brings great comfort that God would reveal to Daniel that vision.

The evil of this world will cause many people to be tricked or even to consciously make the decision to believe that God has not saved us. Sin will cause selfish desires to control the lives of so many. People will choose to run from God. People have chosen this path knowingly for years. But, God comes to them and continues to offer the saving grace of Jesus Christ and the forgiveness of sin.

Yet, others will come to believe and know that God has saved. They will endure this age and die in this sinful world knowing the hope of a resurrection to everlasting life. Is this passage about the people who have endured the persecution during the time of tribulation? Is this passage only for those present during the war when Gentile nations come together to conquer Jerusalem? Is this passage for a smaller group of Jewish people faithful to God and the law with their names recorded in the book? Is this passage for those faithful saints recorded as members in the new kingdom of God?

I think the point is that there will be a resurrection of all people. Those who have returned to dust of the earth will arise from sleep. They shall awaken to new life. Those who proclaim God as their salvation alone will shine like the stars, but those who have run from God and deny God's salvation will arise to shame and everlasting contempt.

For me, I'll be glad to take that cheeseburger and live everlasting life in the Light of Jesus Christ, my only path to salvation! Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, you reveal yourself throughout all time. I can't get it on my own. I don't even come close to knowing the truth you set before me, but I'll still continue to listen carefully for your voice in your Word. I'll especially listen to the Word you have given and passed to me through the inspiration of so many in the Bible. I'll listen for your Word spoken through those you give to me. I'll look at your Word acted out in the sacraments. And I'll continue to respond to your Word in my daily life. Be with me in my confusion and lead me to that wonderful day of resurrection to shine like the stars. --- Amen

No comments: