Wednesday, November 07, 2012

November 7th Reflection by Bill Lynch



Hebrews 9:24-28

For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made by human hands, a mere copy of the true one, but he entered into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God on our behalf. Nor was it to offer himself again and again, as the high priest enters the Holy Place year after year with blood that is not his own; for then he would have had to suffer again and again since the foundation of the world. But as it is, he has appeared once for all at the end of the age to remove sin by the sacrifice of himself. And just as it is appointed for mortals to die once, and after that the judgement, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin, but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.

Reflection
This is my grand-daughter, Kaiya. She lost a tooth yesterday. I can remember having to go to my Dad and have a baby tooth removed that was about to fall out. It was a fearful thing to do for a young child. But after Dad was done, I was relieved. Kaiya, I heard, cried a little at first and then laughed about it after the tooth was removed. In some ways this passage for today teaches us about having to go before God. Jesus gave himself for us and presented himself as the sacrifice for our sin before God in our stead. What a relief we can glory in for the loving and gracious act of Jesus offering himself as the sacrifice for our sin.

Jesus entered for you and me into the presence of God. Through Christ we will be accepted when we come into this wonderful temple. Jesus is there to support us for salvation. Before the High Priest came into the Holy Place with an offering of blood not his own on our behalf. But now we have Jesus that comes before God with an offering of his blood for our salvation. Sin was put away once and for all for all of us. Jesus without blemish is our sacrifice. Jesus is our one and only High Priest. All offered before God for our sake. Thanks be to God!

Prayer
Lord, you teach us to offer ourselves gladly for one another. May I boldly go in the stead of one of my neighbors and offer myself for them to live out the joy and happiness of life this day. As I offer myself to another please receive my offering of myself to you and your way... today... tomorrow... and forever. --- Amen

No comments: